SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

Unable to scan from SCX-4216F on Ubuntu 12.04

Started by langen, October 03, 2012, 17:00:35

Previous topic - Next topic

langen

- Printer model: SCX-4216F
- Linux distribution: Linux lutz1 3.2.0-31-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Fri Sep 7 16:16:45 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
- connection by USB
- driver version: 4.00.39.1 (downgrading didn't work)

Hi, scanning with simple-scan powers the MFP up as it is going to print, but scanning fails, producing the output

mfp_claim
mfp_release

** (simple-scan:21729): WARNING **: scanner.vala:933: Unable to set Color mode, please file a bug
mfp_claim
mfp_release
mfp_claim

** (simple-scan:21729): WARNING **: scanner.vala:1131: Unable to start device: Error during device I/O
mfp_release

xsane is no better, it fails with less informative output:

mfp_claim
mfp_release
mfp_claim
mfp_release
mfp_claim
mfp_release

and a popup message "could not start scanner error while device I/O".

As I do not scan too often, I do not know which were the last versions that worked, but I am pretty sure that everything that was available in May 2012 allowed scanning.

How can I help to find the bug?

bchemnet

When you say downgrading didn't work, do you mean you removed all the 4.00.39-1 packages and went to the 4.00.35-2 packages, or just that you went to an earlier samsungmfp-driver-xxxx package?  But until late May 2012, the packages in use were version 3.00.90, so the problem could be older than the available packages would let you check.

Have you tried scanning using the Configurator, just to see if a different interface works?

langen

For downgrading, I tried to remove all 4.00.39 packages and install samsungmfp-common 4.00.35.2 (that was accepted), then samsungmfp-driver 4.00.35.3 which depends on  samsungmfp-common 4.00.39-1 (!); the result was a usb error

After returning to the 4.00.39 packages (without samsungmfp-scanner-usblp-fix 4.00.39-1), trying to scan using the qt configurator just (qt4, 4.00.39-1) just produces an "Error during device I/O" button with no further output. After adding that fix, nothing happens with the configurator, even the button does not appear.

I have no idea which version last worked, and I do not find any way back to 3.x legacy.

bchemnet

You have to install all old versions to go back.  So try 4.00.35-2 or 3.00.90-4 with the 4.00.35-2 common package.

The other approach would be to extract the /usr/lib/libmfp* and /usr/lib/sane/libsane-smfp* files from the driver-4.00.35 4.00.35-2 or driver-3.00.90 3.00.90-4 packages, and see if just using the old library files makes a difference.  Some other users have reported that it does.

langen

Quote from: bchemnet.com on October 07, 2012, 07:29:54
You have to install all old versions to go back.  So try 4.00.35-2 or 3.00.90-4 with the 4.00.35-2 common package.

Well, I did try that. I tried to remove all 4.00.39 packages and install samsungmfp-common 4.00.35.2 (that was accepted), then samsungmfp-driver 4.00.35.3 which depends on  samsungmfp-common 4.00.39-1 (!).

Quote from: bchemnet.com on October 07, 2012, 07:29:54
The other approach would be to extract the /usr/lib/libmfp* and /usr/lib/sane/libsane-smfp* files from the driver-4.00.35 4.00.35-2 or driver-3.00.90 3.00.90-4 packages, and see if just using the old library files makes a difference.  Some other users have reported that it does.

I have not quite understood that. Do you mean: Use the current driver, but with old libraries? What do I have to install exactly (from which packages, or do I have to compile the sources)?

maharaja

Hi!

I can confirm this problem with 4.00.39-1.
A downgrade 4.00.35-2 solved this issue.

I now pinned the 4.00.35-2 release:
create a cat "/etc/apt/preferences.d/samsung-pin" file with the following content:
(i know that i need not pin all packages, but i thought: "better more than less" ;) )

# by default, increase squeeze-backports' priority
Package: libtiff3-samsungmfp samsungmfp-configurator-qt4 samsungmfp-legacy-parallel samsungmfp-network-legacy samsungmfp-legacy-configurator-qt4 samsungmfp-legacy-driver samsungmfp-driver-pdf-fix samsungmfp-netdiscovery-oldlibc samsungmfp-legacy-lpr samsungmfp-lpr samsungmfp-configurator-data samsungmfp-common samsungmfp-driver-3.00.90 samsungmfp-legacy-netdiscovery-oldlibc samsungmfp-scanner-usblp-fix samsungmfp-driver samsungmfp-driver-4.00.39 samsungmfp-legacy-data samsungmfp-libmfp samsungmfp-parallel samsungmfp-scanner samsungmfp-legacy-netdiscovery samsungmfp-network samsungmfp-driver-3.00.65 samsungmfp-data samsungmfp-legacy-scanner samsungmfp-configurator-qt3 samsungmfp-driver-4.00.35 samsungmfp-legacy-configurator-data samsungmfp-scanner-sane-fix samsungmfp-scanner-sane-fix-multiarch samsungmfp-driver-4.00.36 samsungmfp-data-legacy samsungmfp-netdiscovery samsungmfp-driver-legacy samsungmfp-legacy-configurator-qt3
Pin: version 4.00.35-2
Pin-Priority: 900

2. use apt-get to (re-)install the packages, either via
apt-get -u dist-upgrade or apt-get install samsungmfp-driver samsungmfp-scanner samsungmfp-scanner-usblp-fix samsungmfp-scanner-sane-fix
3. if you're unable to install some of the "-fix" packages, try downloading them via wget and install them manuall:

wget http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/pool/debian/extra/s/samsungmfp-scanner-sane-fix-multiarch_4.00.35-2_all.deb
wget http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/pool/debian/extra/s/samsungmfp-scanner-usblp-fix_4.00.35-2.1_all.deb
wget http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/pool/debian/extra/s/samsungmfp-scanner-sane-fix_4.00.35-2_all.deb

dpkg -i samsungmfp-*deb

4. if things don't work, try rebooting the system to reset all drivers/usb ports/...

for your reference, my current configuration:

• Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.6, including backports.
  • Linux Kernel 3.2.0-0.bpo.3-686-pae
  • SANE 1.0.22
  • CUPS 1.4.4
  • Samsung MFP driver 4.00.35
my package list:

# dpkg -l | egrep -i "sane|samsung|cups"
ii  cups                                       1.4.4-7+squeeze1             Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server
ii  cups-client                                1.4.4-7+squeeze1             Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - client programs (SysV)
ii  cups-common                                1.4.4-7+squeeze1             Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - common files
ii  cups-driver-gutenprint                     5.2.6-1                      printer drivers for CUPS
ii  cups-ppdc                                  1.4.4-7+squeeze1             Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - PPD manipulation utilities
ii  ghostscript-cups                           8.71~dfsg2-9                 The GPL Ghostscript PostScript/PDF interpreter - CUPS filters
ii  libcups2                                   1.4.4-7+squeeze1             Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - Core library
ii  libcupscgi1                                1.4.4-7+squeeze1             Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - CGI library
ii  libcupsdriver1                             1.4.4-7+squeeze1             Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - Driver library
ii  libcupsimage2                              1.4.4-7+squeeze1             Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - Raster image library
ii  libcupsmime1                               1.4.4-7+squeeze1             Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - MIME library
ii  libcupsppdc1                               1.4.4-7+squeeze1             Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - PPD manipulation library
ii  libsane                                    1.0.22-3~bpo60+1             API library for scanners
ii  libsane-extras                             1.0.22.1~bpo60+1             API library for scanners -- extra backends
ii  samsungmfp-common                          4.00.35-2                    Samsung Unified Linux Driver (common files)
ii  samsungmfp-data                            4.00.35-2                    Samsung Unified Linux Driver (data)
ii  samsungmfp-driver                          4.00.35-2                    Samsung Unified Linux Driver (latest driver dependency package)
ii  samsungmfp-driver-4.00.35                  4.00.35-2                    Samsung Unified Linux Driver (drivers)
ii  samsungmfp-network                         4.00.35-2                    Samsung Unified Driver Configurator (network connectivity)
ii  samsungmfp-scanner                         4.00.35-2                    Samsung Unified Linux Driver (enable scanning)
ii  samsungmfp-scanner-sane-fix                4.00.35-2                    Samsung Unified Linux Driver (possible scanner fix - read description carefully)
ii  samsungmfp-scanner-usblp-fix               4.00.35-2.1                  Samsung Unified Linux Driver (possible scanner fix - read description carefully)
ii  sane-utils                                 1.0.22-3~bpo60+1             API library for scanners -- utilities

Note: sane-find-scanner does not provide any output, but "scanimage -L" does and "scanimage > scan.pnm" works too.
(I currently am only using the command line for scanning via our intranet server)

langen

Thank you quite a lot.

Alas I am on Ubuntu, and there I run into dependency problems; last is that libsane is required with <=1.22.3, but that's not provided anymore (can't enforce that version; Ubuntu provides 1.022.7-ubuntu).

But it's good to hear that I am no alone with this problem, and that for you downgrading worked out. That makes me hope future versions of samsungmfp will work again.

bchemnet

Quote from: langen on October 12, 2012, 06:55:58
Thank you quite a lot.

Alas I am on Ubuntu, and there I run into dependency problems; last is that libsane is required with <=1.22.3, but that's not provided anymore (can't enforce that version; Ubuntu provides 1.022.7-ubuntu).

But it's good to hear that I am no alone with this problem, and that for you downgrading worked out. That makes me hope future versions of samsungmfp will work again.

Use samsungmfp-sane-fix-multiarch to get around the libsane problem; otherwise the above solution should work.

I'm still collecting information on who is having difficulty with 4.00.39 and under what conditions; when I have enough information to actually identify the problem, I'll let you know.

langen

Hooray, I can scan again.

There are weird dependency problems for Ubuntu 12.4 with synaptic, so I note down what I did for achieving a working installation. The version of all packages is 4.00.35-2, except for samsungmfp-driver-4.00.35, with the exceptions noted:

First I completely removed all samsungmfp* packages.

Then I installed

samsungmfp-common
samsungmfp-data
samsungmfp-driver-4.00.35
samsungmfp-network
samsungmfp-scanner

I tested: xsane and scanimage -L, both didn't find any scanners

I added the packages

samsungmfp-configurator-data
samsungmfp-configurator-qt4, version 4.00.35-2.2

I tested again: xsane and scanimage -L, both didn't find any scanners

I added samsungmfp-scanner-sane-fix-multiarch, whic enforced removing samsungmfp-configurator-data and samsungmfp-configurator-qt4

I tested again: xsane and scanimage -L, both didn't find any scanners

I added samsungmfp-scanner-usblp-fix, version 4.00.35-2.1, then tested again: xsane and scanimage -L, both succesful.

After installing samsungmfp-scanner-usblp-fix, synaptic wanted me to remove samsungmfp-scanner-sane-fix-multiarch and to update many other samsungmfp-* packages which I ignored by finishing synaptic and restarting it.
Now, I re-installed
samsungmfp-configurator-data
samsungmfp-configurator-qt4, version 4.00.35-2.2,
then tested again: xsane and scanimage -L, both succesful.

Again, synaptic wanted me to remove samsungmfp-scanner-sane-fix-multiarch and to update many other samsungmfp-* packages which I ignored.

That's it. When restarting synaptic, there are no complaints about any samsungmfp-* packages.

Thank you for insisting on downgrading. I hope this helps for further samsungmfp-* version; I appreciate the work on them very much.

bchemnet

I'm glad it is working again; the detailed report is useful.

amirjadidi

Do you have any experiment with Ubuntu 12.10?
Would you please give me a to do list to install SCX-4216F on Ubuntu 12.10?

bchemnet

Have you tried the instructions in this thread?  These is no reason to think it will be different with 12.10, except that 12.10 might work without any special effort.

amirjadidi

Using the following instruction, scanning is solved. But I have problem with printing!
Any suggestion?

amirjadidi

After installing samsung-configurator-data and samsung-driver-pdf-fix and printer-driver-splix everything is ok.
Thank you.

jolar

Trying to get the scanner on my scx-4216F to work, but no... Using Mint 17.2 (which is more or less Ubuntu 14.04 LTS I guess?)

With the 4.00.39 driver the scanner is found with scanimage -L - device `smfp:SAMSUNG SCX-4x16 Series on USB:0' is a SAMSUNG SCX-4x16 Series on USB:0 Scanner

The scanner starts when trying to scan something, the head is moving around and it seems it's initializing, but then I get Error during device I/O.

And when installing 4.00.35-2 instead, no scanner is found. Are there other drivers or parts I should try to downgrade as well? (suld-ppd-1 is version 4.00.39 for example, but I wouldn't know how to get another version.) When removing all suld-things and trying to install samsungmfp-scanner-sane-fix-multiarch I get this: Depends: suld-driver-common  but it is not installable. There is a package named suld-driver-common-1 however.  All Samsung packages are marked as a transitional packages in Synaptics due to name changes (samsung/suld I guess?) but I can't find an equivalent named suld-package, something with sane/scanner/fix?

jolar

Adding a symlink from /dev/usb/lp0 to /dev/usb/scanner0 makes sane-find-scanner report a scanner, which it didn't before:

found USB scanner (UNKNOWN vendor and product) at device /dev/usb/scanner0

I added the following to /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules, just trying to get the correct name detected, but it still said "UNKNOWN"...

# Samsung SCX-4216F
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04e8", ATTRS{idProduct}=="3409", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

also added

# Samsung SCX-4216F
usb 0x04e8 0x3409

to /etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf in case it would help, but it didn't, so I removed both those edits.

I'm starting to think that sane-find-scanner just reports that there is a device (the symlink), nothing more.

With driver suld-driver-4.00.35, which reportedly have been working for the two gentlemen earlier in the thread, no scanner is found by scanimage -L which I find a bit strange.

All reboots makes this feel like windows. Except that it doesn't work afterwards.

bchemnet

You might want to see if there are similar issues with SANE detection for Mint/Ubuntu of other (non-Samsung) scanners - this may not be an issue specific to the driver.

Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions for you.

iugamarian

I have managed to make scanning work on Ubuntu Mate 15.10 AMD64 for Samsung SCX-4216F/XEN.

a) Uninstalled all packages from this repository (I was desperate):
sudo apt-get remove -y samsungmfp-scanner samsungmfp-configurator-data samsungmfp-scanner-sane-fix-multiarch samsung-driver-pdf-fix samsungmfp-scanner-usblp-fix
sudo apt-get remove samsung*
sudo apt-get autoremove

b) Printer Settings - > Delete Printer
Add
When selecting driver from database indicate SCX-4216F not SCX-4x16 and name and description replace x with 2 for completness.
Apply

c) I went to http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/suld.html and downladed version 3.00.37 the original

d) Right click on UnifiedLinuxDriver-3.00.37.tar.gz and extract here

e) In a terminal:
cd Downloads/cdroot/Linux/
sudo apt-get install -y sane sane-utils
sudo sh install.sh

f) Install anyway, Next... and when it lets you select what printer you have click cancel.

g) Connect printer by USB directly to the computer (found in http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/scanning.html at S3) not through:
-USB hub
-PCMCIA or ExpressCard USB adapter
-monitor USB hub

And now it works. Scanner with xsane and printer.

Conclusion for you, may work just with:
a) Connect directly to USB computer port, no hubs
b) In terminal:
sudo echo "deb http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/ debian extra" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
wget -O - http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/suldr.gpg | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade -y
sudo apt-get install -y samsungmfp-driver-legacy
sudo apt-get install -y samsungmfp-scanner

Good luck ! And oil the rubbers in the upper side of the paper tray and the document paper feeder mechanisms so that they are a little moist and have more friction, don't throw away your cool printer just for paper jams.

iugamarian

Just reinstalled Ubuntu Mate and the scanner work just with this:

b) In terminal:
sudo echo "deb http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/ debian extra" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade -y

And don't forget when you add printer in cups select driver 4216f not 4x16.

jolar

Quote from: iugamarian on December 19, 2015, 14:00:06

b) In terminal:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade -y

I don't understand what you mean with "select driver 4216f not 4x16"? The only choice available in the add printer GUI or the cups web interface is SCX 4x16 for me, and there is just a SCX-4x16.ppd.gz file in /usr/share/cups/model/suld.

In your previous reply I understand it as you just change the display name? ("When selecting driver from database indicate SCX-4216F not SCX-4x16 and name and description replace x with 2 for completness.")

iugamarian

Quote from: jolar on December 19, 2015, 18:43:56
Quote from: iugamarian on December 19, 2015, 14:00:06

b) In terminal:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade -y

I don't understand what you mean with "select driver 4216f not 4x16"? The only choice available in the add printer GUI or the cups web interface is SCX 4x16 for me, and there is just a SCX-4x16.ppd.gz file in /usr/share/cups/model/suld.

In your previous reply I understand it as you just change the display name? ("When selecting driver from database indicate SCX-4216F not SCX-4x16 and name and description replace x with 2 for completness.")

I mean that in the list with drivers shown I scroll down (a lot) and I have a driver named exactly SCX-4216F. This is in Ubuntu Mate 15.10. For me SCX-4x16 does not work - printer starts to print and then it does not finish, not even get the paper from the tray.

bchemnet

Quote from: iugamarian on December 21, 2015, 02:12:59
I mean that in the list with drivers shown I scroll down (a lot) and I have a driver named exactly SCX-4216F. This is in Ubuntu Mate 15.10. For me SCX-4x16 does not work - printer starts to print and then it does not finish, not even get the paper from the tray.

That driver is provided by splix, and is not part of the Samsung packages.  So to see it, you would also need to install printer-driver-splix.

iugamarian

Quote from: bchemnet on December 21, 2015, 05:58:36
Quote from: iugamarian on December 21, 2015, 02:12:59

That driver is provided by splix, and is not part of the Samsung packages.  So to see it, you would also need to install printer-driver-splix.

Well, it's available on the default installation and the live cd of Ubuntu Mate 15.10...

jolar

Printing has always worked fine for me whichever suld driver version I've tried. It's scanning that is the problem. The printer-driver-splix driver is only a printer driver, it doesn't support scanners.

When I install suld-driver-3.00.37-2/samsungmfp-driver-legacy or suld-driver-4.00.35-2, no scanner is found, xsane doesn't start, suld-scanner-usblp-fix doesn't make any difference.

When I install 4.00.39-2, scanimage -L says "device `smfp:SAMSUNG SCX-4x16 Series on USB:0' is a SAMSUNG SCX-4x16 Series on USB:0 Scanner". I however get "Failed to open device 'smfp:SAMSUNG SCX-4x16 Series on USB:0': Error during device I/O." when starting xsane. When I also install suld-scanner-usblp-fix with 4.00.39-2, xsane starts without complaints, but hangs after scanning initializing and head movements - just when it seems like actual scanning is starting, and I get a simple "Error during device I/O" error. sane-find-scanner never reports any scanner.

iugamarian

Quote from: jolar on December 21, 2015, 12:12:33
Printing has always worked fine for me whichever suld driver version I've tried. It's scanning that is the problem. The printer-driver-splix driver is only a printer driver, it doesn't support scanners.

When I install suld-driver-3.00.37-2/samsungmfp-driver-legacy or suld-driver-4.00.35-2, no scanner is found, xsane doesn't start, suld-scanner-usblp-fix doesn't make any difference.

When I install 4.00.39-2, scanimage -L says "device `smfp:SAMSUNG SCX-4x16 Series on USB:0' is a SAMSUNG SCX-4x16 Series on USB:0 Scanner". I however get "Failed to open device 'smfp:SAMSUNG SCX-4x16 Series on USB:0': Error during device I/O." when starting xsane. When I also install suld-scanner-usblp-fix with 4.00.39-2, xsane starts without complaints, but hangs after scanning initializing and head movements - just when it seems like actual scanning is starting, and I get a simple "Error during device I/O" error. sane-find-scanner never reports any scanner.

Are you connecting directly to the computer with the USB, not through hubs ? That's how it works for me (with 3.00.37).

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers