SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

Samsung 4216F scanner not working

Started by powerhouse, April 27, 2013, 09:11:15

Previous topic - Next topic

powerhouse

I've installed the latest packages from your repository and printing is working, but the scanner is not. I've followed your advise about scanners, including adding the user to the lp group. Here some information:

Distribution: Linux Mint 14 Mate 64-bit (based on Ubuntu 12.10) running as dom0 on a Xen hypervisor 4.1.3 (though usually this doesn't affect drivers)

Printer/scanner: Samsung 4216F

Installed packages based on release 4.00.39-1:
libtiff3-samsungmfp       3.6.1-1
samsungmfp-common
samsungmfp-data
samsungmfp-driver-4.00.39
samsungmfp-libmfp
samsungmfp-network
samsungmfp-scanner

The printer is connected via USB.

Printing works fine. But the scanner doesn't. Here the symptoms:

1. Start Simple Scan
2. Insert page in automatic feeder
3. Press scan button
4. The scanner feeds the page and scans, but the after a while I get the following error message in Simple Scan:
"Failed to scan. Unable to start scan"

Xsane gives me the following error message:
"Failed to start scanner: Error during device I/O"

sudo sane-find-scanner -v

gives this (shortened) output:
searching for USB scanners:
checking /dev/usb/scanner... failed to open (Invalid argument)
checking /dev/usb/scanner0... failed to open (Invalid argument)
checking /dev/usb/scanner15... failed to open (Invalid argument)
checking /dev/usbscanner... failed to open (Invalid argument)
checking /dev/usbscanner0... failed to open (Invalid argument)
checking /dev/usbscanner15... failed to open (Invalid argument)
could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
  # No USB scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
  # you have loaded a kernel driver for your USB host controller and have setup
  # the USB system correctly. See man sane-usb for details.

scanimage -L takes a while but eventually returns this:
scanimage -L
device `smfp:SAMSUNG SCX-4x16 Series on USB:0' is a SAMSUNG SCX-4x16 Series on USB:0 Scanner

Here the relevant kern.log part:

Apr 27 16:19:09 usblp0: removed
Apr 27 16:19:09 rastertoqpdl[4198]: segfault at 30 ip 0000000000407d9e sp 00007f7ea8c8ae70 error 4 in rastertoqpdl[400000+e000]
Apr 27 16:19:18 usblp 2-1.5:1.0: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 3 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04E8 pid 0x3409
Apr 27 16:19:45 usblp0: removed
Apr 27 16:19:45 usblp 2-1.5:1.0: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 3 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04E8 pid 0x3409
Apr 27 16:28:07 usb 2-1.5: usbfs: process 4978 (scanimage) did not claim interface 0 before use
Apr 27 16:28:11 usb 2-1.5: usbfs: process 4978 (scanimage) did not claim interface 0 before use
Apr 27 16:28:33 usb 2-1.5: usbfs: process 4997 (simple-scan) did not claim interface 0 before use
Apr 27 16:28:37 usb 2-1.5: usbfs: process 4997 (simple-scan) did not claim interface 0 before use
Apr 27 16:48:41 usb 2-1.5: usbfs: process 5189 (simple-scan) did not claim interface 0 before use
Apr 27 16:48:45 usb 2-1.5: usbfs: process 5189 (simple-scan) did not claim interface 0 before use
Apr 27 16:51:17 usb 2-1.5: usbfs: process 5203 (xsane) did not claim interface 0 before use
Apr 27 16:51:21 usb 2-1.5: usbfs: process 5203 (xsane) did not claim interface 0 before use

I've also tried release 4.00.35-2 but that one didn't even print.

My user name has been added to the following groups:
lp
lpadmin
sane

And finally lsmod:

lsmod | grep -i usblp
usblp                  18141  0

I tried the various scanner-sane fixes with 4.00.35-2, as well as samsungmfp-scanner-usblp-fix (which doesn't seem to be necessary as usblp loads) - nothing works.

Somehow the /dev/usb/scanner device is not created. Any idea or suggestion?

bchemnet

Two things you can possibly try.  First, just make sure it isn't an issue with Xen, do you have a machine running Linux natively that you can connect the printer to?

Second, I am very close to releasing updated packages that might help with this issue if isn't due to Xen.  My goal was today, but that isn't going to happen - more likely another 3-4 days.

powerhouse

Thanks for the quick answer. I can try boot into a regular kernel (non-Xen) and see what happens. I will report back.

powerhouse

Sorry for my late reply.

I booted into a regular Linux Mint 14 kernel: 3.5.0-27-generic

It doesn't make any difference - the scanner feeds the paper but Simple Scan reports "Failed to scan. Unable to start scan", same as before (i.e. with Xen).

Any suggestions or should I wait for the new release?

The printer is an old model, I believe sometime around 2005/2006. Do you think there is a chance that an older driver might actually work? Or is it better to stick with the latest and greatest? Just to remind you, I did try 4.00.35-2 release.

I'm afraid that older driver releases may not play well with the latest Linux Mint / Ubuntu release.

bchemnet

I recommend waiting.  I'm close to releasing, but need to run some additional tests first.  Life permitting, the next 24-48 hours.

If you want to do some experimenting in the meantime, the older driver versions currently available should work except possibly for -legacy.  But the new packages I'm preparing are perhaps more likely to.

powerhouse

Thanks! I'll be waiting for the new release.

EDIT: In the meantime I tried to make the scanner work under Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. But no matter what I try, it won't scan.

So far I've tried it with the latest Universal driver (the one Windows selects automatically), as well as the separate printer and scanner drivers. The printer works, the scanner doesn't.

As with Linux, the printer is connected to a USB port. I've also tried changing the USB ports, but that doesn't work either. I even replaced the USB cable (a shorter one), again no difference.

bchemnet

powerhouse

Thanks! I just installed them and gave them a try - no difference. I didn't change any settings, though. The user is in the lp, lpadmin, and saned group, but not in the scanner group (I had tried that as well before, but it didn't make a difference).

Anything I could try?

bchemnet

Based on everything that you have tried, it sounds like it might well be a hardware issue, or perhaps some setting within the printer itself (I have no idea what controls might be relevant on that model).  You could try working through all the different driver versions available in the repository to see if you get lucky with one, but I would not be optimistic.  Given that the Windows driver support is much better, failing there is a particularly bad sign.

powerhouse

OK, I somehow managed to get it work under Windows 7, using the scanner software provided by Samsung. I wasn't able to use the Windows scanning software, it just wouldn't recognize the scanner. Linux was a no go.

The Samsung software was real bad and I also had an issue with scans turning magenta on one side. In the end I gave up using the Samsung scanner and bought a dedicated Canon CanoScan LiDE 110 which just works (I scanned some 1200 CD covers).

I continue using the Samsung 4216F as a printer (and fax) using the suld-driver-4.00.39 and it works fine - thanks for the drivers, I really appreciate your efforts!

bchemnet

Quote from: powerhouse on July 22, 2013, 15:15:24
In the end I gave up using the Samsung scanner and bought a dedicated Canon CanoScan LiDE 110 which just works (I scanned some 1200 CD covers).

I'm a fan of this scanner as well (actually had good luck with several of the same type).  Sorry the printer won't work as a scanner, but I'm glad you found a workable solution.

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers