SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

ML 2955ND prints PS garbage & repository download fails

Started by digisus, June 27, 2013, 06:08:20

Previous topic - Next topic

digisus

Dear community,

first of all a big thank you for providing these driver support as the software delivered with the printer is crap. Since I bought it (which in hindsight was a mistake I think), I have problems with my Samsung ML 2955 ND. After cleaning up everything and making a propoer reinstall following http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/ it worked for some time, but now it started again to print garbage one-liner pages (postscript?) and now I get additional errors from Ubuntu's update-manager:

=====
W:Failed to fetch http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/dists/debian/extra/i18n/Index  No sections in Release file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/www.bchemnet.com_suldr_dists_debian_extra_i18n_Index
, E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
=====

Installed packages:
suld-driver-4.01.17
suld-driver-common-1
suld-ppd-2
suld-network-2
suld-printer-pdf-fix

As I have no idea what the problem is and why it occurs, I would appreciate a lot helpful hints or questions.

Thanks,
digisus

bchemnet

Quote from: digisus on June 27, 2013, 06:08:20

=====
W:Failed to fetch http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/dists/debian/extra/i18n/Index  No sections in Release file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/www.bchemnet.com_suldr_dists_debian_extra_i18n_Index
, E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
=====

The error is not actually a problem, and has to do with a work-around I implemented to solve an entirely unrelated problem.  However, I think I have made a change that should eliminate it.

Quote from: digisus on June 27, 2013, 06:08:20
Installed packages:
suld-driver-4.01.17
suld-driver-common-1
suld-ppd-2
suld-network-2
suld-printer-pdf-fix

As I have no idea what the problem is and why it occurs, I would appreciate a lot helpful hints or questions.

Presumably something was updated, either the driver itself or something else in the printing system.  Either way, going back to an older driver (e.g., 4.00.39) may solve the problem.  The 4.01.17 driver does not seem to be "stable" for everyone, and there isn't any reason to use it if an older version works.

digisus

Thanks bchemnet for the swift reply!

I downgraded to the prvious version as you suggested. Now the system misses a file "pstospl" ... see attached screenshot of printer dialog.

I decided to upgraded again to the latest SULD version, but the file is still missing?? Result: no printing at all. :-/

Thank you very much for your help! Very much appreciated as I cannot print at all atm...
~digisus

(ubuntu 12.04 64bit)

bchemnet

When you switch to/from the 4.01.17 driver from earlier versions, you will generally need to remove and re-install the printer.  Samsung renamed a bunch of files, but CUPS caches the relevant parts when you install the printer.  So for example if you set up the printer when 4.01.17 was installed (or CUPS decided to update its cache, which it does on a schedule I've never figured out), then printing with an older version will lead to the error you saw because that particular file only exists in 4.01.17 and has a different name in 4.00.39 and earlier.

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers