SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

how to install network printer

Started by djh_w, July 18, 2013, 08:49:52

Previous topic - Next topic

djh_w

I just bought a new printer, a Samsung CLP-415NW which is a networked laser printer. I'm now trying to figure out how to make it work with openSUSE. It's my first time with a Samsung printer.

It's probably my poor searching but I haven't found anything yet that explains what is necessary to use a Samsung network printer. I'm expecting that I should just need to tell YaST where it can find a PPD and tell it what protocol to use to what address and I'm done. But I haven't found anywhere yet that those are the necessary and required steps.

I have just downloaded the UnifiedLinuxDriver and extracted CLP-410.ppd, which I hope is the right PPD. I got the printer to print its network config and have checked I can ping its IP address. I haven't yet found anywhere that specifies what protocols the printer supports, though I've seen things that say there might be a problem with IPP.

Can anybody confirm I'm going along the right path and tell me what protocol to select?

I should say that the printer is at home, so I won't be able to do further testing until this evening (I'm in the UK)

bchemnet

Quote from: djh_w on July 18, 2013, 08:49:52
It's probably my poor searching but I haven't found anything yet that explains what is necessary to use a Samsung network printer. I'm expecting that I should just need to tell YaST where it can find a PPD and tell it what protocol to use to what address and I'm done. But I haven't found anywhere yet that those are the necessary and required steps.

Essentially, you are correct.  The only other potential issue is whether the printer also needs a specific driver available.  The reason there is no simple "this is how it's done" is that Samsung makes a lot of printers and the details can differ substantially.

Quote from: djh_w on July 18, 2013, 08:49:52
I have just downloaded the UnifiedLinuxDriver and extracted CLP-410.ppd, which I hope is the right PPD. I got the printer to print its network config and have checked I can ping its IP address. I haven't yet found anywhere that specifies what protocols the printer supports, though I've seen things that say there might be a problem with IPP.

That is the correct ppd for the CLP-415, and I don't see anything obvious in it would require that the Samsung driver be installed to use it (at a very cursory glance).  However, if it doesn't work, there probably is some underlying need for a particular binary component as well.

As far as network protocol, there are issues with IPP with many Samsung printers, but newer ones such as the CLP-415 are less likely to be affected.  If IPP does not work, the printers also generally work with LPD or RAW.  Alternatively, IPP issues may be due to an ongoing issue with CUPS, in which case the solution is enabling older IPP support (see the question links or other recent threads about this).

djh_w

Thanks for the reply. I tried it last night and it all 'just worked'. Or at least the test page printed OK (and the resolution etc look good) and a few real pages I printed came out OK. So far, it looks like this printer is a good one.

Thanks again.

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers