SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

CLX-3170 print driver won't print in Fedora or LinuxMint

Started by binarynut, March 19, 2013, 15:19:35

Previous topic - Next topic

binarynut

CLX-3175FN using Samsung driver CLX-3170 won't print in Fedora 18 Or LinuxMint-14.
The printer is detected on Network at 192.168.1.104, I can ping it or go into Printer settings.
It will say that Print Job has successfully been sent to printer, but no printing.

Some times I do get lucky and get it  on Fedora installs, I have it working and printing on a Laptop-Mini .

binarynut

In a Linuxmint install , When trying to print I get this error in the kernel.log.

Mar 20 08:03:04 michael-Aspire-M3450 kernel: [62238.903742] cupsd[1032]: segfault at b94067 ip b7342175 sp bfb45430 error 4 in libc-2.15.so[b72cc000+1a3000]
Mar 20 08:56:31 michael-Aspire-M3450 kernel: [65444.447036] rastertosamsung[5605] general protection ip:b764d141 sp:bfb5fc9c error:0 in libc-2.15.so[b751c000+1a3000]

bchemnet

I'm not sure what to make of that, particularly for Mint.  There have been conflicts between particular libc versions and the driver before, but 2.15 is standard in Ubuntu 12.10 which numerous people have reported working (I'm still using 2.13).

Are you using the Samsung installer or the packages?  And if the latter, have you tried different versions of the driver?  If you are using the Samsung installer, trying the installer for a different printer may work around the issue (there are various versions on this website).

binarynut

I 'm trying it on fedora 17 which has glibc-2.15-58.

On the install of Samsung driver;

#su -
#sh install.sh    ( in the /Samsung/cdroot/Linux/install.sh

And I use the cups, system-config-printer to setup as a  lpd://192.168.1.104/PASSTHRU  ,  that setting has worked ok on previous installs.

binarynut

I forgot to say;

That I have the driver working on a Asus-Mini laptop that is using Fedora 18 and libc-2.18-29 .

bchemnet

This sounds like either a complex interaction between glibc, cups, and the driver that only appears with the particular combination of versions you have on your Fedora 17 system, or it is just another quirk of the Samsung installer that it simply does not work well on all systems.  For your Mint systems, I suggest trying the repository - many people have reported that installing with the packages is far more reliable, possibly because the dependency resolution is much better than the script used by the Samsung installer.  For your Fedora system, either update to Fedora 18 or use alien to convert the .deb packages you want to .rpm.

In a few months I may have time to look into building proper .rpm packages for Fedora users, but that's a large time investment I simply can't make right now.

binarynut

As for installing the driver on Fedora 18 I have the same problems with a  Acer an HP tower PC it won't print.
What packages are you referring to in Mint repository ?

bchemnet

binarynut

GREAT SUCCESS IN FEDORA .

From your website I downloaded UnifiedLinuxDriver-4.00 and install it on a HP  PC that I have been having nightmares with and it started printing,  AFTER I went to /usr/lib/cups/filter and had to do a  chmod 755 on a number of files before it would print.

Now that I got the Unified driver installed where do I get the latest  PSU  and Smartpanel.tar.gz  from they did not come with the Unified driver.

Thanks to your website I got it working, the Samsung site didn't show any ver. 4.00 of the UnifiedLinuxDriver.

Thanks very much.

bchemnet

http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/questions.html#3

If you want the PSU and smartpanel, you can get them directly from Samsung; the versioning of those is essentially independent of the driver, so the downloads provided for your printer should work.  (And if they aren't provided for your printer from Samsung's website, they probably wouldn't work anyway.)

binarynut

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP.

Jim T.
Age 73
Indianapolis, In.

bchemnet

You're welcome.  I went through a similar cycle of frustration with the driver and a Samsung printer several years ago.

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers