SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

Driver for Raspberry Pi (ARM arch)

Started by CoolByte, April 21, 2013, 21:46:35

Previous topic - Next topic

CoolByte

Recently bought a raspberry pi, and I want to implement a print server, but I need the drivers for my ML-2106 and I've only found drivers for 32 or 64 bit. It might be easier if I could compile the driver, but can not find the source code.

Can someone help me with this?

bchemnet

No.  The Samsung Unified Linux Driver is only available for i386 and amd64 architectures.  Because the driver is not open source, I have no control over this limitation, nor will you be able to locate any source code.

jensr

Hi!

I noticed that the Unified Linux Driver (ULD_Linux_V1.00.06.tar.gz) now contains an arm folder. I also can execute the contained binaries on my Raspberry Pi. But the provided install.sh does simply nothing and I failed to to a manual installation. Could you plase have a look if it is now possible to provide an ARM RPM?

Thanks in advance, greetings from Germany,
Jens

bchemnet

I don't know.  The drivers that Samsung released last week are radically different from all previous versions.  It will take me a while just to work through how the new drivers work to be able to correctly package them, and this is a really bad time of year for me to have the time to invest.  I will see what I can do, but it will likely be a few weeks before there is anything ready.

jensr

In the meantime I have continued to experiment and did traces with strace and LD_DEBUG=all. The dynamic loader tries to load the library libscmssc.so needed by rastertospl but does not accept the provided one, i.e. it continues to search even tough it tried it.

To me it looks like the current version of the CUPS filter binaries and the accompanying library in the directory arm of the archive ULD_Linux_V1.00.06.tar.gz were build for ARM soft-float.

Obviously this is not going to work on my hard-float build of Rasbian. I am not going to switch to the soft-float build just because of the printer driver.

The output of ldconfig -p | grep libscmmsc lacks the hard-float indication:
libscmssc.so (libc6) => /usr/lib/libscmssc.so

The output of readelf -A /opt/smfp-common/printer/bin/rastertospl and readelf -A /opt/smfp-common/printer/lib/libscmssc.so are both missing the line Tag_ABI_VFP_args: VFP registers, which would indicate a hard-float compatible binary:
root@raspberrypi:~# readelf -A /opt/smfp-common/printer/bin/rastertospl
Attribute Section: aeabi
File Attributes
Tag_CPU_name: "ARM9TDMI
Tag_CPU_arch: v4T
Tag_ARM_ISA_use: Yes
Tag_THUMB_ISA_use: Thumb-1
Tag_ABI_PCS_wchar_t: 4
Tag_ABI_FP_denormal: Needed
Tag_ABI_FP_exceptions: Needed
Tag_ABI_FP_number_model: IEEE 754
Tag_ABI_align_needed: 8-byte
Tag_ABI_align_preserved: 8-byte, except leaf SP
Tag_ABI_enum_size: int

root@raspberrypi:~# readelf -A /opt/smfp-common/printer/lib/libscmssc.so
Attribute Section: aeabi
File Attributes
Tag_CPU_name: "ARM9TDMI"
Tag_CPU_arch: v4T
Tag_ARM_ISA_use: Yes
Tag_THUMB_ISA_use: Thumb-1
Tag_ABI_PCS_wchar_t: 4
Tag_ABI_FP_denormal: Needed
Tag_ABI_FP_exceptions: Needed
Tag_ABI_FP_number_model: IEEE 754
Tag_ABI_align_needed: 8-byte
Tag_ABI_align_preserved: 8-byte, except leaf SP
Tag_ABI_enum_size: int
Tag_ABI_optimization_goals: Aggressive Speed

I have asked Samsung support if they can provide an ARM hard-float version of the driver. They replied that they would look into this and would get back to me.

I'll report here if I get further feedback from Samsung support.

Feuerstein

Hi there. I have the same problem ;-( Have you heard anything yet? Or has anyone tried to use an different driver provided by cups-Administration web-frontend? Thx for any reply.

Best regards
Feuerstein

Feuerstein

Any news? I hope samsung delivers a solution soon. ;-(

Feuerstein

.. or would it help to use an other version? At the moment I am using raspbian. Would pidora or .... better because of the pre-compiled print driver? Or is the provided list by cups delivered by cups itself?

clashcityrocker

Add me to the list of people with the same problem.

Spent hours today trying to work out ow to install the samsung printer driver, that comes with no instructions, and just silently quits...

Grr....

Anyone tried installing a soft float debian to see if it works?  I don't care about the performance dip, I just want my printer hooked up to Google Cloud Printing via my Raspberry PI.

clashcityrocker

Got it working (eventually).  The Samsung script is quite badly flawed.   I had to run soft float Debian, which is a pain.

The packet.sh file (in the noarch folder) needs changing on line 59 to:

elif [ "$ARCH" = "arm" -o "$ARCH" = "armv6l" -o "$ARCH" = "armhf"  -o "$ARCH" = "armel"]; then

and the following lines removed (around 492):

if [ "$HARDWARE_PLATFORM" != "$ARCH_32" -a "$HARDWARE_PLATFORM" != "$ARCH_64" ]; then
    abort_execution "Unsuppored hardware platform \"$HARDWARE_PLATFORM\""
fi

In soft float debian, I can use the Samsung upd with my CLP-360 on my Pi as a print server.  No to cloudprint enable it, so I can print from my Android tablets... :-)

rominet

Hi,

For anyone reaching this forum as I did...
After hours of trying (SULD driver, CUPS ARMEL attempt under armhf, ARMEL emulation under ARMHF, splix driver)... I finally was able to print on my ARM board.

On that board, I installed a debian hard float system, and driver which succeeded was "foo2qpdl" (foomatic). It was included in foo2zjs (printer-driver-foo2zjs)

This one was finally able to print on my samsung CLX 3175, I just had to make sure the color profile was the 3175 one as it remained the CLP-310 one after I tried other drivers...

Another solution I found before that was to configure the printer with NO driver (raw queue) on CUPS, and I was then able to print from a windows with samsung drivers installed, but not from my ubuntu desktop - but now I can :]

Side note : I printed a black and white page, I haven't tried color printing....

Cheers

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers