SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungsplc missing in suld-driver-4.01.17

Started by mfonville, June 20, 2013, 05:10:10

Previous topic - Next topic

mfonville

I am using a Samsung CLX-1385FN with Ubuntu 13.04 amd64 via the network using ipp14://.

Recently I upgraded to the 4.01.17 driver, but when I was trying to print today it didn't work. CUPS was complaining about the missing file /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungsplc. This file is also really absent.

When I downgrade to the 4.00.39 driver, the file reappeared and everything did work great again.

Maybe you forgot to package this file for the 4.01.17 driver?

bchemnet

Samsung renamed a bunch of the driver files with the 4.01.17 release, and they are referenced in some (not most) ppd files.  The CLX-3185 is one of those affected, so if you want to use the latest driver then you will need to uninstall and reinstall the printer after updating the driver (and similarly if reverting back to an older version).

The issue arises because CUPS caches the ppd file when the driver is first installed, so it does not automatically pick up the new ppd file with references to the new file names.

mfonville

Ah ok. I understand.

Would it maybe be possible to script in the new package an upgrade-script that would clear the CUPS ppd cache automatically or so? Because otherwise I will expect more trouble from 'upgraders' in the future :-)

bchemnet

The short answer is "no".  CUPS does have a tool for updating cached PPD files, but it does not work correctly with the PPDs provided by Samsung.  There is a global updater, but that could have unintended consequences by updating unrelated files.  And doing a manual update would be unreliable, because the cached PPD files are named according to the user-chosen printer name, not the underlying file name - so there is no sure way to detect which of those PPD files should be updated.

I have added a note about this to the troubleshooting information.

I have also considered just symlinking the old names to the new ones, but I don't know if that would work, or possibly break something, because the driver has a tendency to have strong preferences for particular paths.  And I'm unable to test it, because my printer is not supported by the newest driver.

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers