SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

Samsung SCX-4623FW Scanner doesn't work

Started by Toby87, July 07, 2012, 08:33:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Toby87

Hey,
I'm currently running Ubuntu 12.04 and installed the v4 drivers the way it was explained at http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/smfpv4.html, so far the printer seems to work without any issues (I haven't tried to run in via wifi yet) but the scanner doesn't work at all. I tried connecting it via USB and Wifi and failed with both.
I tried everything explained at the scanning trouble page but no luck.
sane-find-scanner finds the scanner, but scanimage -L doesn't find any scanners, simplescan finds it, but only after I unplug the usb and plug it back in and it is unable to scan. It worked once, but the second time I tried it gave me an error that no scanner is connected (only about 2 minutes later).

Hope someone can help me,

Tobias

Toby87

ok, I don't really get why but it started working again after I changed the usb-port? Any suggestions how that can be (it's not broken, my trackball works fine on both), however I can scan for the moment.

By the way, the possible scanner fix from the repository relies on dependencys (libsane 1.022 -3 or lower) that are not in ubuntu anymore (libsane 1.022 -7).

bchemnet

Quote from: Toby87 on July 07, 2012, 10:07:35
ok, I don't really get why but it started working again after I changed the usb-port? Any suggestions how that can be (it's not broken, my trackball works fine on both), however I can scan for the moment.

It could (at least) be either of two issues.  First that some USB ports provide full power and some don't, although I don't actually know why that would matter for a multifunction printer (plenty of power available through the wall plug).  The other possibility is USB 3.0 vs 2.0 if your computer is relatively new; there are scattered, inconsistent reports of problems with some devices running on USB 3.0 ports.  Those issues aren't Samsung-specific.

Quote from: Toby87 on July 07, 2012, 10:07:35
By the way, the possible scanner fix from the repository relies on dependencys (libsane 1.022 -3 or lower) that are not in ubuntu anymore (libsane 1.022 -7).

Install the -multifunction version instead, which depends on the later library.  I'm going to clarify that in the troubleshooting page.

Toby87

hey, thanks so far, actually it works as soon as I unplug all my other usb devices, as soon as I plug them back in it stops working. I only have usb 2, no usb 3 ports so that schouldn't be the problem.
I tried to edit /etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf but the values were already right and I created /etc/udev/rules.d/99-libsane-samsungmfp.rules but that didn't realy change anything.

bchemnet

Probably an issue with the kernel or USB subsystem, then.  I suggest posting a bug report to launchpad.

Toby87

Thanks, that was probably it, the only thing I changed was forcing a kernel-update that the ubuntu-update-manager hold back before (for whatever reason), now it at least works about 8 out of 10 times. I still have to unplugg it once in a while, but in the end I'm not scanning files everyday so that does work for me.

But what doesn't work is wifi-scanning, /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/netdiscovery --all --scanner shows no scanners although simplescan seems to find it anyway, but nothing happens when I try to scan, simplescan says it's connecting to the scanner and the scanner does pretty much nothing.

bchemnet

Quote from: Toby87 on July 07, 2012, 13:38:38
But what doesn't work is wifi-scanning, /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/netdiscovery --all --scanner shows no scanners although simplescan seems to find it anyway, but nothing happens when I try to scan, simplescan says it's connecting to the scanner and the scanner does pretty much nothing.

That sounds like it could be a firewall problem.  If you aren't running anything on your computer, it's possible that your router is interfering with the necessary UDP packets.  If it's not a firewall issue, I'm not sure.

Toby87

Ok, in that case I won't do nothing at the moment, the only thing I know about my wifi is the passwort, not even where the router is or what kind of router it is... (I'm living in a shared appartement with other students and the router belongs to the houseowner).

Btw. I can't reach the mfp via chrome, or firefox either (the way it is explained in the manual), so that's probably it, although the set Ip applet from the cd works and does find the wifi mfp...

whatever, I can do everything I need to do at the moment and will try setting it up again when I'm living in my own appartement.

But thanks a lot, due to your help I was able to archive all my important documents yesterday...

Tobias

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers