SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

Author Topic: suggest adding location of installed utilities to documentation.  (Read 2234 times)

jossen

• Testing the water
    • View Profile
  • Linux Distribution: Debian Testing
  • Printer: Xpress M2875FW
First, thank you for all the work that's gone into maintaining and documenting these packages.  I just installed a new printer, and was astonished to find that *everything* including network scanning was a breeze to set up and worked perfectly the first time with no tinkering required.  I'm impressed.

But, I do have one very tiny complaint.  The documentation on the front page regarding installation is fantastically detailed and useful.  But, there's no hint of what to do *after* installation.  In particular, it never mentions where the utilities are installed, or even what they're called.  The installation took three minutes, but in order to actually use the thing, I spent five times as long looking around for the configuration tool, and eventually had to interrogate the deb files to find it.    (Perhaps /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/Configurator is obvious to some, but it's very far down on my list of likely places to look.)

Adding a line such as, "To configure and test the installation, start with the general purpose utility "Configurator" in a subdirectory of /opt/Samsung" would have saved me some head scratching.

But, once again, this is tiny quibble with a fantastic project.  Thanks again!

bchemnet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Linux Distribution: Debian Testing
  • Printer: none
Re: suggest adding location of installed utilities to documentation.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 21:53:30 »
Fair enough.  When I next have an afternoon to update things, I will add that information.  I'm glad it worked so well for you.

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers