SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

SANE sane-xerox_mfp backend works with some Samsung models

Started by phillipsjk, October 31, 2014, 16:18:29

Previous topic - Next topic

phillipsjk

Hello,

When searching for instructions on how to get scanning on my room-mate's Samsung MFP to work under Linux, I mainly came across instructions on how to install the Samsung Binary Drivers. I specifically looked over the alternatives page before giving up.

The problem with binary drivers is that they are potential spy-ware that can compromise your machine. They are also pre-compiled for common architectures, discouraging the use of odd-ball ones such as MIPSel. There is also the problem where support for older printers is often dropped. Finally, installing software from random websites is a bad habit that can easily break or compromise your system.

Searching with the term "Samsung" on the SANE Supported Scanners - Search Engine , I learned that the sane-xerox_mfp back-end appears to support many Samsung MFP devices: including the one I was trying to use. As of this writing, I only got it to work over the USB bus (not the network).

PS: I accidentally downloaded the MacOS Scanning drivers from the Samsung website. Those archives are around 60MB, rather than 15-23MB for the Linux and Windows Binaries. I wonder if MacOS drivers include human-readable code, suitable for documenting the interface without "reverse engineering".

PPS: This forum appears to disallow more than 3 links. I deleted four one link in order to post. The 403 error message is terse:
Quote from: forumForbidden

You don't have permission to access /suldr/forum/index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers