SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

M3320ND syntaxerror

Started by WoodLark, December 06, 2014, 19:53:07

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodLark

Printer: Samsung ProXpress M3320ND
Connection: USB
Driver: suld-driver-4.01.17

Problem: Printer will print several pages (number varies) perfectly, then there is a long delay, and it prints out a single sheet with the following messages:

ERROR:
     syntaxerror
     OFFENDING COMMAND:
     <                                           (The character appearing on this line varies with each occurrence of the problem, but (so far) it has always been a single character.)
     STACK:
     900.024                                 (This line does not always appear.)
                                                    (sometimes there is a blank line.)
     -mark-
     -mark-
     -mark-
     -mark-

If there are many pages in the document, sometimes it is possible to start another print job printing only the pages that came after the error. This does not always work. The error simply occurs again at a different spot in the document.

bchemnet

Have you tried one of the new drivers (driver2)?

WoodLark

I wasn't aware of driver 2, so this morning, I un-installed the driver and installed suld-driver2-1.00.29. I then attempted to print a 210 page document. It printed 171 pages (an improvement since previous failures never got beyond page 8), then a long pause then about 1/4th of the next page, then a page feed and the following message:

ERROR:
syntaxerror
OFFENDING COMMAND:
should
STACK:
which
array
the
of
range
the
specifying
by
done
be
can
-mark-
-mark-
-mark-
-mark-

Obviously, there is still something strange going on.   

About an hour later, I tried to print 30 copies of one page. It printed 9 copies, then paused, then printed:

ERROR:
undefined
OFFENDING COMMAND:
....Undefined
STACK:
-mark-
-mark-
-mark-

bchemnet

Quote from: WoodLark on December 07, 2014, 09:31:12
Obviously, there is still something strange going on.   

Actually, that would be perfectly normal behavior for my printer, except the errors are different.  I've never managed to print anything that large and have never been able to isolate the problem.  I just end up printing very large documents in moderate-sized chunks.  I don't know if it's a poor driver, a printer memory issue, or just some quirky hardware issues.  Based on the lack of issues most people report when trying from Windows (including my own printer, though it's been many years since I tried that), it probably is just that the Linux driver really isn't all that good.

So while it may be possible to solve this for your particular printer, I don't have any other obvious suggestions for you to try.

WoodLark

You may want to re-check your .deb package. After receiving your reply, I deleted the printer and your driver package. I then went to Samsung's download page and downloaded  ULD_v1.00.29.tar.gz, unpacked it, ran install.sh, then added the printer again. I then printed out a long document with no errors.

bchemnet

I don't know why the difference.  But as mentioned on the website, for most people these packages aren't necessary as long as the printer works with the newest drivers that have a reasonable install system (unlike all the older ones).

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers