SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

Netdiscovery not working

Started by Simo, October 21, 2015, 04:55:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Simo

I installed the suld-driver-4.00.39 in my TravelMate 7530 laptop with 64 bits Ubuntu 14.04 LTS OS. I have a Samsung SCX-4500W scanner/printer connected through a wireless modem, shared with Apple and Windows computers. The printer installation in my Ubuntu laptop was ok, but installation of scanner doesn't work. The suld-network-2 package was installed second time manually (apt-get ...). However, the netdiscovery was not in /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin-folder so I reinstalled the package (suld-network-2_4.01.17_amd64.deb) again with debian package installer. Even if the file netdiscovery is now in /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin-folder, it can not be recognized (no command found). Could this also be the reason to that the network scanner can not be found and the Samsung Unified Driver Configurator crashes when trying to add a printer or a scanner. (The printer installation worked with Ubuntu System Settings.) (Should there be a file smfpnetdiscovery in folder /usr/lib/cups/backend?) The CUPS could not either find any network printers.
How could I fix this problem?

bchemnet

Quote from: Simo on October 21, 2015, 04:55:00
Even if the file netdiscovery is now in /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin-folder, it can not be recognized (no command found).

/opt is probably not in your path, which is why netdiscovery would report no command found.  That is normal, as the command is called by other driver components by the full path.  You should be able to get netdiscovery output if you execute "/opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/netdiscovery" instead of just "netdiscovery".

Quote from: Simo on October 21, 2015, 04:55:00
Could this also be the reason to that the network scanner can not be found and the Samsung Unified Driver Configurator crashes when trying to add a printer or a scanner. (The printer installation worked with Ubuntu System Settings.)

I don't think so.  A crashing Configurator sounds like a separate problem.  But the Configurator is not necessary if you have the printer working with the system settings approach.

Quote from: Simo on October 21, 2015, 04:55:00
(Should there be a file smfpnetdiscovery in folder /usr/lib/cups/backend?)

No, that is only for the driver2 versions.  You could try one of those versions, though.

Quote from: Simo on October 21, 2015, 04:55:00
The CUPS could not either find any network printers.
How could I fix this problem?

I'm confused by your statement that no network printers are found, because you started off by saying the printer worked.  However, the simplest thing is to try a different printer driver version.

Simo

I'm not very experienced with linux network settings.
I uninstalled/installed the same driver again and adjusted the firewall settings as well as the IPs. Now I got both printer and scanner working fine - even CUPS is working again in my browser.
Thanks a lot for your quick response.

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers