SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

Dependency problems for suld-driver packages on Ubuntu 14.04

Started by johnaaronrose, May 16, 2016, 03:37:01

Previous topic - Next topic

johnaaronrose

When I try to install a suld-driver package, I get:

suld-driver-4.01.17:
Depends: suld-network-install
Depends: suld-driver-common-1  but it is not installable
Depends: suld-ppd-2  but it is not installable

or:

suld-driver-4.00.39:
Depends: libstdc++5 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: suld-driver-common-1  but it is not installable
Depends: suld-ppd-1  but it is not installable

depending on which driver I try to install.

I am using a fully up to date Ubuntu 14.04.

bchemnet

I don't know what's causing this, because I can't reproduce it.  Here is the solution:

1. Download the suld-driver-common-1 and suld-ppd-2 packages directly from http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/pool/debian/extra/su/ .
2. Install them using "sudo dpkg -i" followed by the name of the files (one at a time), in a terminal in the folder containing the downloaded files.
3. Install your desired driver.

So far this issue only seems to be occuring with Ubuntu 14.04 and Linux Mint 17.x (based on Ubuntu 14.04).

johnaaronrose

I installed the suld-driver-common-1 and suld-ppd-2 packages after downloading them from http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/pool/debian/extra/su/.

When I try to install suld-driver-4.00.39, I get:

When I try to install suld-driver-4.00.35 (you recommend this driver for my Monochrome Laser multifunction SCX-4729FD printer), I get:

When I try to install suld-driver-4.01.17, I get:

I proceeded with install of suld-driver-4.01.17, which it did successfully. When I try to print a document, it does not show my printer. So I tried to add a networked printer using the standard Ubuntu Printers dialog but it did not find my SSCX-4729FD printer. How do I add the printer?

When I try to install suld-driver2-1.00.35 (you recommend this driver for the scanner on  my SCX-4729FD printer), I get:
suld-driver2-1.00.35:
Depends: suld-driver2-common-1  but it is not installable
Depends: suld-ppd-4  but it is not installable
Conflicts: suld-network-install

Which driver should I use in order to make the scanner work?

bchemnet

First, please refresh your repository and check if you can see the suld-ppd-1, etc. packages that were missing before.

Second, then try to install suld-driver2-1.00.35 and see if it allows you to install.  This is the version I would recommend.

johnaaronrose

suld-ppd-1 etc packages are now present.

However, if I try to install suld-driver2-1.00.35, it wants to remove suld-driver-4.01.17 (Synaptic screenshot attached). If I did this, presumably I would no longer have a driver for printing. So what do I do?

After I previously installed suld-driver-4.01.17, when I try to print a document, it does not show my printer. So I tried to add a networked printer using the standard Ubuntu Printers dialog but it did not find my SSCX-4729FD printer. How do I add the printer?

bchemnet

suld-driver2-1.00.35 replaces suld-driver-4.01.17, so you would still have a driver.  So allowing the replacement is okay.

The newer driver might also help with detection of your networked printer.  If not, you may need to provide the IP address or network name of your printer when adding it to get the detection to work.

johnaaronrose

I've now installed suld-driver2-1.00.35. As shown in the previous attachment for Synaptic, it removed suld-driver-1.00.17, suld-network-install, suld-driver-common-1  (but installed suld-driver2-common-1), suld-ppd-2 (but installed suld-ppd-4).

I then tried the standard Ubuntu Printers dialog to Add Printer. It found the printer but wouldn't print to it due to Ubuntu saying it's not found. This is the intermittent problem that I have have before using the 'suld' packages (i.e. is the reason, as well as the lack of the printer not being recognised as a scanner by Simple Scan and Xsane apps). I've now deleted the printer in the standard Ubuntu Printers dialog. You state "you may need to provide the IP address or network name of your printer when adding it to get the detection to work.". How do I do that (i.e. what do I run)? When I use the the standard Printers dialog, it sets the printer's URI to dnssd://samsung%20scx-472x%20series%20(sec001599d2245b)._ipp._tcp.local/. I have my Firewall open on the incoming ports for Bonjour (i.e. 5298 udp & tcp and 5353 udp), HPJet (9100 udp & tcp), CUPS (631 udp & tcp) with all outgoing ports open. And ufw's log shows no blocked traffic.

bchemnet

Okay, I think I understand your problem.  The printer is being detected, in that the printer setup can find it, but then not when you go to actually print.  Correct me if this is a bad summary.

Assuming the above is true, then what may be happening is that printer discovery service (the "dnssd" part of the URI) is not working correctly during the print process.  You may be able to address this by setting the printer to a static IP address, then using an ipp uri with the IP address.  To set the static IP address, the simplest way is probably to use the control panel on the printer.  If you activate the menu, there is probably a "network" menu that displays the current IP address and allows setting of a static one.  You may need to consult the printer manual for additional details.  If you set the static IP to the current IP address, then try to add the printer again by IP address using ipp (or lpd) as the protocol, instead of allowing the automatic discovery, it may work more reliably.  You may have to manually select the SCX 472x series driver when setting up this way.

If that's not it, I'm not sure what to suggest.  It seems that the computer can find the printer and recognize the appropriate driver.  Possibly try disabling the firewall temporarily to see if that has an effect?

johnaaronrose

Thanks for advice. Printer now working OK for printing. Printer problem (i.e. not finding it) seems to have been caused by printer discovery service (dnssd was part of printer's address). This seems to me to be a software bug in dnssd (or other software collectively know as Bonjour). I've put 192.168.1.20 into the printer dialog and the printer's address was then automatically set to "socket://192.168.1.20:9100": so dnssd is no longer used for this printer. I had previously set incoming port 9100 open as it's used by a usb HP inkjet printer that I use for colour printing & scanning. BTW When I first had the printer, Ubuntu couldn't find it until I opened the incoming ports for Bonjour (referred to in  my previous post).

However, printer is still not found by XSane even though my HP Inkjet printer is found and works OK for scanning. I would really like to make my Samsung printer be recognised by XSane as a scanner. Any ideas?

bchemnet

Based on the success with the IP address so far, I suggest trying the approach described in question 11 of the scanning questions: http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/scanning.html

johnaaronrose

I've already looked at that webpage. I have edited /etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf so that every line (i.e. the lines pertaining to usb) are commented out and I have added "tcp 192.168.1.20 9100". No success after logging out & in. I also tried "tcp 192.168.1.20 1723" after opening incoming port 1723 on my Firewall, as I found a posting referring to port 1723. I did the same edit for /etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp-smfp.conf: again with no success. I've also checked that /etc/sane.d/dll.conf contains an entry for xerox_mfp, as required by http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#SCANNERS which specifies xerox_mfp for the backend.

In the posting you refer to, I don't understand how to set "SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE to 'smfp:net;xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'". Interestingly, when I start XSane, the printer's 'motor' starts.

bchemnet

SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE is an environment variable.  So to temporarily set it, use (on a terminal):
export SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE=smfp:net;IPaddress

Where IPaddress is the actual address.

To set it for the whole session, you can stick it in a file read at login, such as ~/.xsessionrc, and just leave out the export command.  Then it will be set on each login.

johnaaronrose

I've tried the command:
export SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE="smfp:net;192.168.1.20"

I confirmed that it worked by using echo $SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE.

When I ran XSane the printer's 'motor' started & stopped. However, a popup appeared stating "No devices available" which implies that this 'DEFAULT' setting worked as my HP2540 was not found. Any other ideas?

bchemnet

Unfortunately, I am out of ideas.  It's possible that the issue is with SANE, as it certainly seems to do some sort of initial detection.  But I can't think of anything else specific for you to try.

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers