SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

Uninstalling Previous Drivers

Started by Nic, March 28, 2017, 05:49:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Nic

I do like this site - clear, precise and uncluttered.

After many many tries at getting the SCX-4100 to scan I can't remember what I've installed. The directions say "... installations of the Unified Linux Driver performed using the Samsung installer ... must be completely removed before using the .debs in this repository"

Q: is there a Synaptic [or even Terminal] input/command that will identify what relevant packages need to be removed?

bchemnet

No.  But if you run the Samsung uninstaller, it should clean up okay.  With recent versions, even if it misses a couple of things you should be okay to install the packages from this site.

Nic

To be clear I'm trying to get the SCX-4100 to scan under Ubuntu 14.04
Your "Samsung Installer" tab says:
"If you want to know specific details of what files are installed or how to uninstall particular versions of the driver installed the Samsung way, see the page specific for the version that you downloaded and installed:
    Version 2.00.xx (very old)
    Version 3.00.xx
    Version 4.00.xx
    Version 4.01.xx
    Version 1.00.xx (driver 2)"

Given I'm unsure which if any was installed, which should I run please?

I have discovered only one hit in Synaptic searching on 'Samsung':
"PACKAGE: printer-driver-splix
VERSION: 2.0.0+svn315-2fakesync1
DESCRIPTION: Driver for Samsung and Xerox SPL2 and SPLc laser printers"

Should this be left or uninstalled separately please?

bchemnet

If you downloaded files from Samsung's website to install, they will be the last (Version 1.00.xx) because that is all that Samsung presently provides.  If you only used Synpatic to install components, then those instructions don't apply to you.  You can safely leave any package installed through Synaptic in place.

Nic

A/ An apology is due. I must have installed something from the Samsung site .... I thought I'd lost my scanner disasters log but I now find the following notes to myself:
"I downloaded from http://www.samsungsetup.com/TS/Files/RDS_XML/web_install_agent/linux/SamsungPrinterInstaller.tar.gz
Various failures followed eg: "./noarch/package_install.sh: 46: ./noarch/package_install.sh: ./noarch/package_install.sh: Permission denied"

Eventually I got xsane installed and available through Applications>Graphics. Only trouble was, trying to scan preview using screen 'Preview Samsung SCX-4100 Series on USB:usb;04e8;3413;0123456789ABCDEF' I got a dialogue saying "failed to start scanner Error during device I/O" the saga went on .....

If I NOW search Synaptic on 'noar' I get no hits
If I search Synaptic on '46' I get nothing that looks like a Samsung hit, but [irrelevant?] I do get INSTALLED brother-lpr-drivers** & brother-cups-wrapper**

B/ In the interim your 'cd' instructiom worked well & I chose uld-driver-4.00.39 package.
I have downloaded and installed 5 'suld-***'  files from suldr-keyring_2_all.

However the output of '$ sane-find-scanner' gives 24 lines, 16 of which is "  # No USB scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that you have loaded a kernel driver for your USB host controller ... "
the output of '$ sudo sane-find-scanner' is better: it says "found USB scanner (vendor=0x0ace [ZyDAS], product=0x1215 [USB2.0 WLAN]) at libusb:002:005"  but it still will not scan.

IF I should have purged all the Samsung driver stuff mentioned at A/ above then B/ was probably a mistake [sorry again]. Do I have to uninstall the uld-driver-4.00.39 package? If so please give instructions [I heard Synaptic can be iffy on uninstalls].

Sorry to be verbose: it may well be you tell me just to uninstall Version 1.00.xx if I can find out how.

bchemnet

"Permission denied" probably means that the Samsung installer never really installed anything.  You can check by uninstalling the packages from this repository through Synaptic (which should work fine), then in a terminal type (without quotes) "ls /opt/".  If you see a listing like "smfp-common" or "Samsung" then you should follow the uninstallation procedure for version 1.00.xx on the Samsung Installer web page here.  If not, you are clean.  Then re-install through Synaptic, whichever version you want to try.  If one version doesn't work, you can try another, and the packages will automatically install/uninstall as needed.

Nic

Thanks.
As advised I use Synaptic to 'completely remove' :
suld-driver – 4.00.39
suld-driver- common-1
suld-network-2
suld-ppd-1
suld-keyring

I run ~$ ls /opt/   OUTPUT=  samsung  Samsung  smfp-common
So I need to Uninstall  version 1.00.xx
The Samsung Installer tab seems not to offer a Terminal command for uninstall, it just says "To execute the uninstaller, execute (as root/sudo, and in a terminal) the uninstall.sh script in the installer download or in /opt/".
Since [in Nautilus] I have no Installer download file that I can find - or ANY directory or file named 'samsung Samsung' I use a manual search for the listed files  in Synaptic.
It finds NONE of those listed, or any hits on 'smpf'.
How come Terminal says  'samsung Samsung' exists but Nautilus & Synaptic can't find it?
Please provide instructions from here. Happy to work with Terminal, but [as you'll have seen!] my expertise is about 11% so specific command lines needed please. Thanks.

bchemnet

Download the Samsung installer v1.00.36 from the Samsung Installer page on this site.  Then extract all files, in Nautilus.  Assuming that you did all this on your desktop, you should now have a "uld" folder on the desktop.

Open a terminal.  Type:

cd Desktop/uld
sudo ./uninstall.sh

And it should remove all the installed pieces.  You can then delete the downloaded file and uld folder.  You can now install whatever versions you would like to try through Synpatic.

The reason that you do not see it in Synaptic is that the installer adds files without telling the rest of the system what it has done.  "Packages" as .deb files (like I provide through the repository) include information that Synaptic and related programs can use to keep track of what was installed, for easy removal/update.  Much commercial software does not do this.

Nic

This is by way of thanks for sticking with this non-expert: Simple Scan now works & 'Xsane image scanning program' produces a preview and whirrs happily when told to Scan; though I have yet to find where it dumps the result.

A couple of notes to any other reader with low expertise:
As explained in the thread: to uninstall "samsung  Samsung  smfp-common" I had to do the totally counter-intuitive & Download the Samsung INSTALLER v1.00.36 from this [bchemnet] site before I could uninstall.

When I ran  "~$ sudo apt-get update"           60+ files were updated but the final lines read:
"Reading package lists... Done
W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/ debian/extra i386 Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/www.bchemnet.com_suldr_dists_debian_extra_binary-i386_Packages)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems"

This may be because of the bollx I made of my 1st attempt. I did run apt-get update again but the warning remained so I ignored it & that seems not to have interfered with the ability to Simple Scan.

Many thanks again.

bchemnet

If you run

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

and delete any exact duplicate lines containing "bchemnet" in them, the warning will go away.  But it doesn't hurt anything if it appears.

I believe xsane saves files into the home folder by default.  You should be able to check and change it from the Preferences menu:
http://www.xsane.org/doc/sane-xsane-save-doc.html (under "select filename").

Nic

Thanks Again.
I'm off to the SANE website to see if I can work out how to work with it.

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers