SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

How to take advantage of suldr repository in Fedora

Started by escudito, August 26, 2012, 10:00:50

Previous topic - Next topic

escudito

Hi friends. I run Fedora 17 and so cannot use the repository as it is intended for a DEB system, and Fedora is an RPM system.

Can someone give me a hint about how to take advantage of this driver in my Fedora system?

bchemnet

If you manually download the packages that you want (from http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/pool/debian/extra/), you should be able to use alien to convert the .deb packages to .rpm packages and then manually install them.  Look at the information on the repository homepage about selecting packages to determine which ones you will need; you can also probably determine which ones by the "missing dependency" errors when you try to install a particular driver package.

However, I haven't personally tried it, so please share success or problems.

escudito

Thank you bchemnet!

I downloaded the suldr DEB files that seemed useful for my Fedora 17 64-bit system. I then downloaded and installed "alien" and used it to convert all the DEB files to RPM files.

I tried to install each RPM file. Some of them I could, some of them were denied installation. These failed:

libtiff3-samsungmfp-3.6.1-2.x86_64 ("file /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3 from install of libtiff3-samsungmfp-3.6.1-2.x86_64 conflicts with file from package libtiff-3.9.6-2.fc17.i686")

samsungmfp-configurator-qt4-4.00.35-3.2.x86_64 ("needs libmfp.so()(64bit)")

samsungmfp-driver-4.00.35-4.00.35-3.x86_64 ("needs libsane-smfp.so.1()(64bit), needs libnetsnmp.so.10()(64bit), needs libmfp.so()(64bit)")

samsungmfp-scanner-sane-fix-multiarch-4.00.35-3.noarch ("file /etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp-smfp.conf from install of samsungmfp-scanner-sane-fix-multiarch-4.00.35-3.noarch conflicts with file from package samsungmfp-scanner-sane-fix-4.00.35-3.noarch, file /etc/udev/rules.d/99-libsane-samsungmfp.rules from install of samsungmfp-scanner-sane-fix-multiarch-4.00.35-3.noarch conflicts with file from package samsungmfp-scanner-sane-fix-4.00.35-3.noarch")

I don't know how to get those missing lib* files.

bchemnet

Three of them are not a problem:

libtiff3-samsungmfp: no problem.  That indicates that Fedora still has a libtiff3 package (Debian no longer does), and you should not need this package at all.

samsungmfp-configurator-qt4: this is due to not having the driver package installed (see below).

samsungmfp-scanner-sane-fix-multiarch: this is a valid conflict but not a problem; you only need the non-multiarch or the multiarch version of this package, and the error suggests the non-multimarch was successfully installed.

And the hard one:

samsungmfp-driver-4.00.35: alien apparently sometimes fails to preserve symlinks when converting packages.  Based on the specific file name errors, that's what is happening to you.  The libraries are part of the package and/or the network package, but those specific names are links to the actual library files.  Try running the following commands as root:
in /usr/lib: ln -sf libmfp.so.1.0.1 libmfp.so.1
in /usr/lib: ln -sf libmfp.so.1.0.1 libmfp.so
in /usr/lib: ln -sf libnetsnmp.so.10.0.2 libnetsnmp.so.10
in /usr/lib/sane: ln -sf libsane-smfp.so.1.0.1 libsane-smfp.so.1
in /usr/lib/sane: ln -sf libsane-smfp.so.1.0.1 libsane-smfp.so

I'm not sure if creating those links before installing the package will eliminate the errors, or if you need to force-install the package (not sure what the command would be) and then create the links.

Som additional issues you may encounter due to missing symlinks:

You may also need to add this link for the ppds to actually work when setting up your printer:
in /usr/share/ppd: ln -sfT ../cups/model/samsung/ samsung

And if you planned to use the samsungmfp-lpr package:
in /usr/local/bin: ln -sfT ../../../opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/slpr lpr

There will also be link problems with the samsungmfp-parallel package, but there is no reason you would need that, and I'm not sure it would work in Fedora anyway.

escudito

Thanks a lot bchemnet.

That Samsung printer lives now a happy Windows life on my office desk.

For my home PC I have ordered a Brother multifunction. Brother supports Linux.

Thanks again for your effort.

escudito

I have nevertheless tried your suggestion. I created the symlinks. I then tried to installed the failed RPMs.

The same error appears, complaining about lack of 64-bit libraries availability.

Maybe this 32-bit v. 64-bit thing has something to do with the problem?

Maybe we can go on till the end here, to benefit the Fedora community and to enlarge the SULDR usefulness.

bchemnet

When I have some time (maybe in a couple of weeks), I will look into how difficult it might be to build "real" rpm packages instead of relying on alien to convert them.  If it isn't a substantial amount of extra effort, I may be able to create an rpm repository as well.  I will post here again if I get to a point where it would be helpful to have some testing done.

escudito

Thanks again, bchemnet.

By the way I could help with building "real" RPMs. I haven't done it before but it's always good to learn something new.

A good starting point seems to be http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_an_RPM_package

On fedoraforum there was a thread about doing this: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=79873

Hope to hear from you!

escudito

Yesterday I moved the Samsung SCX-3405W back to the Fedora 17 box from the Windows box.

After one hour or so of work, I have it now printing and scanning under Linux. I managed to force-install your SULDR drivers, and then I had to add this model (SCX-3405W) to some configuration files, after learning its USB ID through lsusb.

It is a wonderful little machine after all. It prints fast, SANE likes the scanner, the QT configurator helps. Maybe I will keep this one attached to my Fedora box.

Thank you for your efforts, bchemnet.

Please tell me if there is a way to give back to the community.

bchemnet

Glad to hear it.  When I start work on the rpm packages, I will be sure to let you know.

escudito

For the record, I think I must inform everyone interested that Samsung SCX-3405W has a driver of its own in Fedora, so no need to hassle with converting debs to rpms (I did that with mixed success before).

I'm using Fedora 19.

If you ask yum information about Samsung (yum search samsung) it will inform you about "splix, driver for QPDL/SPL2 printers (Samsung and several Xerox printers)".

Then you just install splix (yum install splix).

You remove your Samsung multifunction in the configuration. You then add a new printer and choose this new driver. Make and model are shown as "Samsung SCX-3200, 2.0.0".

Both printer and scanner work out of the box.

Thank you bchemnet for your work and for letting this info reach those interested.

martinblank64

escudito,

I also have a SCX-3405W with a computer running Fedora 19. I am unable to get scanning to function, however. I am sure I am doing something incorrectly. I did successfully install splix, and when I go into printer settings and add a printer, it detects a "SCX-3400-Series", for which the model is a Samsung SCX-3200, but does not have the 2.0.0 as you indicated.

Under this configuration, I can print, but not scan. The "sane-find-scanner" command DOES returns the following result:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04e8, product=0x344f) at libusb:003:004

However, the simple-scan program does not work. If I try to scan anything, it just says that the scan failed because no scanners are available. If you can help me get this working, I would really appreciate it! :)

bchemnet

If you are using the SpliX driver, you may need to follow the steps given here:
http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/scanning.html#3

In particular, enabling of Xerox MFP may be necessary (I don't know if the Fedora SANE package already includes it or not).

martinblank64

Thank you for the reply. It turns out, Samsung actually offers Linux drivers for download with a simple install script to set them up. I ran the install script and now have full printing and scanning functionality!

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers