SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

Samsung SCX-4521F/Xerox WorkCentre PE220 printer scanner Ubuntu 16.04/Debian 8

Started by dmlDML2014, April 30, 2017, 03:08:17

Previous topic - Next topic

dmlDML2014

Maybe some of you are baffled by the dual multi-functional printer names in the title.
Well, I've found some long time ago, when I embraced the linux world completely (at home I mean) that my (not cheap at all) Xerox multi-functional printer was in fact... a Samsung printer.
Yes, Xerox WorkCentre PE220 is in fact Samsung SCX-4521F. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with my (new found :) ) Samsung printer.

So, to install Xerox WorkCentre PE220 in linux you have to install Samsung SCX-4521F drivers so I ended up on this site and I want to share my experience with installing the right drivers to make both the printer and the scanner working on Debian 8 Jessie and Ubuntu 16.04 - in fac the procedure is exactly the same.

First of all you need to have CUPS installed, if not:

sudo apt-get install cups

The you have to add the bchemet PPA to your apt sources:

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Add the following line (let say at the end)
deb http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/ debian extra

Close and save.

sudo apt-get update

It will give you an error because you have to install the keyring:
sudo apt-get install suldr-keyring
sudo apt-get update

Now you can install the drivers:

sudo apt-get install suld-driver-3.00.37

This will also install all other necessary packages.

Then install the Samsung configurator (the version bellow worked for me very well):

sudo apt-get install suld-configurator-1-qt4

If you don't have already installed, install xsane to help you manage the scanning process:

sudo apt-get install xsane.

Now you are ready to add you printer and scanner.
For the printer (as it does not work correctly in the Samsung Unified Driver Configurator) open Printers and add your printer (check if your printer is connected and powered !) by choosing Samsung and not Xerox as maker and the driver SCX-4x21.
Normally this should do it for the printer.

Now for the scanner, open Samsung Unified Driver Configurator (as superuser) and go to scanners (the second icon on the left :) ) and wait for it because it takes a while.
You should see you scanner already.

You are all set. Run XSane and enjoy your multi-functional printer.

Now, after all this years I wonder why have I chosen a Xerox maker printer. Samsung is all better :)

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers