SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

Author Topic: A little contribution  (Read 491 times)

diver

• Testing the water
    • View Profile
  • Linux Distribution: Ubuntu, Ubuntu Mate
  • Printer: M267x 287x Series
A little contribution
« on: December 14, 2018, 12:24:03 »
First and foremost: thanks a lot bchemnet for taking care of properly packaging these nasty drivers and make them available on this repository. It save us a lot of trouble!

Now, while browsing the general FAQ, I found that some people ask about the look of the site and you say that as it is gets the job done (I agree) and you don't have extra time to invest on that. Since I am an experienced web developer, I know everything that it is possible to do regarding the look and feel of a site and, as you, I dislike "flashy" sites with excessive effects where visual design puts appearance before function. Still, I noticed a couple of little changes that could be done to the style precisely to improve the main function of documentation: to be easy to read. I experimented a while, trying to follow the minimalist design you created and to be very conservative on my changes. In addition, I introduced only two minor cosmetic changes that actually make the design simpler (plain table borders and taking blues out of the color palette).

My goal was also to not require any extra effort on your side, so what I propose is to just update the content of https://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/suld_style.css with the following:
Code: [Select]
body {
  color: #000000; background-color: #f5f5f5; font-size: large; line-height: 1.25;
  font-family: Liberation Sans, Arial, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif;
  max-width: 75em; margin: 0 auto; padding: 8px;
}

h1 {color: #303030; text-align: center; font-size: xx-large; font-weight: bolder}
h2 {color: #303030; text-align: center; font-size: x-large; font-weight: bolder}
h3 {color: #303030; text-align: left; font-size: large; font-weight: bold}

a:link {color: #ff1111; text-decoration: none; font-weight: bold}
a:visited {color: #cc0033}
a:hover {color: #ff1111; text-decoration: underline}
a:active {color: #ff33ff}

li {padding-bottom: 0.6em}

table {background-color: #fafafa; border-collapse: collapse}
th, td {border: 1px solid #999999; padding: 0.2em}
th.std, td.std {text-align: center; vertical-align: middle}

Feel free to try it, adjust it to your liking or ask me to correct anything you would prefer to be different. Hope it helps.

Kind regards
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 13:42:34 by diver »

bchemnet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Linux Distribution: Debian Testing
  • Printer: none
Re: A little contribution
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 21:00:50 »
Thanks for the input.  I have taken some of your suggestions.  The two main ones I did not take were the suggestion for sans-serif and to narrow the text display.  Personally I find serif much easier to read, I know all about the arguments for why sans is supposed to be easier on a screen but my experience differs.  And I admit to being a real dinosaur about the text padding issue, because I prefer to control text width by managing window size, and artificially narrowing the display complicates my window mangement.

Neither of those is a good argument for user interface design, because I am not the target the audience for this website.  Consider it a silent protest to the design decisions others are making that I dislike.  Of course, I still do not use a "smart" phone and detest all touch interfaces, so my ideas of interface design are far out of sync with current norms.

I am glad that you have found the site useful.

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers