SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

Samsung SCX-4100 again

Started by dusk, September 14, 2012, 10:52:51

Previous topic - Next topic

dusk

Hello. First of all sorry for my bad English.

And the trouble is SCX-4100 scanning again.
We have:
usb connected SCX-4100.
Ubuntu 12.04.01 LTS, 3.2.0-30-generic-pae.
Printing is OK. Scanner not found.
sane-find-scanner see nothing.
I already try all that I could found at this site and google.
When I start xsane or simple-scan or configurator (any version of QT) by user I receive (core dumped), when I start it by root I receive the next in syslog
Sep 14 18:20:15 kred kernel: [  261.143958] xsane[2280] general protection ip:b6ec8355 sp:bfbeac3c error:0 in libc-2.15.so[b6d9a000+19f000]
I spent a lot of time but have no result.

My next idea is returning to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
Hope for help.

bchemnet

If you get the xsane, etc. errors even without the printer on/connected, then it is not an issue related to the driver.  I suspect that is the case from your error report.  In this case, you might want to try a launchpad bug report to see if Ubuntu support has any ideas.

If programs do start (or at least stop core dumping) when the printer is off, then it might actually be a driver issue, but it could also be an interface problem.  In that case, report back here and maybe someone can help.

dusk

I have this error when the driver is installed on my computer.
If I remove driver xsane and simple-scan say no device found.
I think it's conflict driver with OS.
I tried  2 printers (SCX-4100) and 2 computers, both with Ubuntu 12.04.1. Same issue.
Any ideas?

bchemnet

Which packages are you installing?  I'll also have to look at see what was updated with 12.04.1 to see if it some library issue.  I may have time to look at this in detail over the weekend, but it could be the weekend following before I do.

dusk

I tried different ways. I installed QT3 configurator with all dependences and QT4 configurator with all dependences, the same issue.
May be I can make some debug, say me how?
I googled the same problem, someone have the similar problem with another devices and they think it's a problem with new libusb 1.09. I tried to change libusb...so file for previous version - negative. I cant change all package to lower version because a problem with dependencies.

bchemnet

I am preparing new packages.  The new versions won't directly address this issue, but may solve it anyway.  Look for them within a week.  If you still have trouble after trying the 4.00.36 or 4.00.39 packages once they are available, I'll see if I can help you narrow this down.

dusk

I tried 4.00.39-1 and situation changed.
Now I have
lsusb - Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04e8:3413 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd SCX-4100 Scanner
sane-find-scanner - no scanners found
simple-scan - found scanner but: ** (simple-scan:2070): WARNING **: scanner.vala:801: Unable to get open device: Error during device I/O
xsane - have the same problem that simple-scan, it's see scanner but can't open device.
I tried to use usblp-fix - nothing changed.

Now we can see another issue than before, hope we a very close to solve the problem. Waiting for your suggestions.

bchemnet

Do any of them work if you execute as root (sudo)?

dusk

It's very strange, yesterday I tried start them with sudo and got the same issue.
Today I start it both with sudo and they work.
It's a victory :) not completely due sudo, but it work's.
Thank you for the new driver, respect. If you can help me scan without sudo it'll be grate, if it's not hard for you.

bchemnet

I'm guess that this is now a permissions issue.  Is your normal user account a member of the lp and scanner groups?  There may also be a permission problem with one of the usb-related groups; I can't immediately think of which one off the top of my head, but you can probably find it with an internet search.

dusk

Thank you. Everything is good. It's work without sudo with lp and scanner groups.
Thank you for the fast help.

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers