SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

Author Topic: HP Laser 107 Driver = Samsung M2026 ?  (Read 68 times)

GizMo79

• Testing the water
    • View Profile
  • Linux Distribution: kubuntu
  • Printer: m2026
HP Laser 107 Driver = Samsung M2026 ?
« on: September 16, 2020, 06:41:42 »
Since the HP Laser 107 are practically renamed Samsung M2026 is it possible to add driver support in the repositories? I think it is enough to add the different USB ID sent by HP to make them recognize.
it would be handy because the manual setup with the script you download from HP seems to mess up ubuntu 20.04

bchemnet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Linux Distribution: Debian Testing
  • Printer: none
Re: HP Laser 107 Driver = Samsung M2026 ?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 21:59:14 »
You should be able to manually designate the printer as M2026 when installing/configuring the printer.  Alternatively, you can try downloading the driver package for the 107 from HP, extracting out the files /uld/noarch/share/ppd/HP_Laser_10x_Series.ppd & /uld/noarch/share/ppd/cms/10xsc.cts, and copying those to /usr/share/ppd/suld/ & /usr/share/ppd/suld/cms/ respectively (assuming you have driver2 v1.00.39 from the repository installed first).  That might work to select the HP 107 directly.

I cannot vouch for the fact that M2026 is the model that 107 is based on, but it does appear that HP has released 4 printers based on the Samsung technology and re-using the last version of the Samsung driver.  But I think there may actually be some changes to the driver despite the apparent re-use of the version number.  I will look into this some more, and hopefully be able to package up a version of the driver specific for the new HP models.  But it will likely be 2 months before I have time to spend on this - sometime around the middle of November is when I next expect to have a free day due to work demands.

GizMo79

• Testing the water
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 04:24:52 »
by installing the HP driver the "HP Laser 10x series" appears in the drivers available for CUPS, but cups does not detect any connected printer so it is not actually possible to install it. I have an M2026 and it works perfectly with kubuntu 20.04, I made the mistake of suggesting to a friend of mine to buy a 107a thinking they were the same but his i can't get it to work.

bchemnet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 20:54:23 »
CUPS should at least recognize a printer is there, even if it has no idea what to do with it.  This sounds like the problem might be hardware (connection or printer) rather than a driver issue.  Or possibly some sort of bug in CUPS, if you can verify independently that the hardware works.

GizMo79

• Testing the water
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 05:01:16 »
keeping dmesg -w open when the printer is connected to the USB port, a sinflood on port 60000 is signaled by a file that appears to belong to the driver.

bchemnet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 12:26:36 »
I am just left with the suggestion of an issue in CUPS, either a bug or a configuration/permissions problem.  Until the detection issue is resolved, the driver aspect is irrelevant.  I am sorry that I cannot be of more assistance.

GizMo79

• Testing the water
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 13:36:17 »

I don't know what tests to do, I also tested on a fresh installation of kubuntu 20.04

bchemnet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 05:29:44 »
I am also not sure what the logical next step is.  I suggest seeking help through the Ubuntu resources on printer detection issues.

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers