SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

Author Topic: Add printer cannot find printer driver.  (Read 3882 times)

samac

• Testing the water
    • View Profile
  • Linux Distribution: Slackware64-14.0
  • Printer: CLX-3185
Add printer cannot find printer driver.
« on: October 12, 2012, 16:47:42 »
Hi

I'm using Slackware64-14.0 and a CLX-3185 multifunction printer.

The add printer app cannot find the printer driver.

In order to install 4.00.39 I had to modify the install script to enable it to restart cups.

elif test -e /etc/rc.d/rc.cups ; then
      CUPS_SCRIPT=/etc/rc.d/rc.cups

And the Unified Driver Configurator starts fine, when I try to add a printer it is detected as a local printer on /dev/mfp4, when I click on next and try to select a printer driver there is nothing shown in the selection box.

Where is that screen looking for the ppd files, so that I can check if the files are in the correct place.

samac

bchemnet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Linux Distribution: Debian Testing
  • Printer: none
Re: Add printer cannot find printer driver.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 12:26:49 »
Hi

I'm using Slackware64-14.0 and a CLX-3185 multifunction printer.

The add printer app cannot find the printer driver.

In order to install 4.00.39 I had to modify the install script to enable it to restart cups.

elif test -e /etc/rc.d/rc.cups ; then
      CUPS_SCRIPT=/etc/rc.d/rc.cups

Slackware and Debian are substantially different in how they handle startup scripts.  Differences in startup and a couple of other minor (but time-consuming) issues are why I have not yet built packages for non-Debian distros.  Maybe one day I'll have time to sort it all out.

And the Unified Driver Configurator starts fine, when I try to add a printer it is detected as a local printer on /dev/mfp4, when I click on next and try to select a printer driver there is nothing shown in the selection box.

Where is that screen looking for the ppd files, so that I can check if the files are in the correct place.

samac

As far as I know, it looks the same places CUPS does: in either /usr/share/cups/model, where there should be a samsung directory, or in /usr/share/ppd, again looking for a samsung directory.  The latter used to be a symlink to the former, but I have removed that because it breaks the ability to install some non-Samsung printers in recent versions of CUPS due to a bug in CUPS.  However, in your case it may be necessary.

samac

• Testing the water
    • View Profile
  • Linux Distribution: Slackware64-14.0
  • Printer: CLX-3185
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 16:46:16 »
Thanks for the reply.

OK ppd files in the correct place, but still nothing showing in the select driver window.

I added /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin to $PATH belonging to root and this allowed the scanner to be connected.

The printer works perfectly through cups, but I cannot get smartpanel to work unless the printer has been detected in the configurator. Which is a bit annoying as it worked perfectly in the previous version (13.37). 

samac

bchemnet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Linux Distribution: Debian Testing
  • Printer: none
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 20:59:44 »
Possibly downgrading to the 4.00.35-2 versions would address the problem associated with the upgrade?  If you updated both Slackware and the drivers at about the same time, that's the only way to test where the problem might be.

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers