SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

ML-2165W on USB blinks, but nothing prints

Started by rheilke, October 25, 2012, 13:51:59

Previous topic - Next topic

rheilke

Samsung ML-2165W
USB Connection
Driver shows as ML-2160W
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

This is my father's system; I am supporting it remotely. He had an HP 1200 connected to the lpt: port, but it finally died. He doesn't need anything fancy or high-volume, so I suggested the Samsung. I followed the directions here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=341621
When he connected the printer and turned it on, it seems to have been added OK. I did have to run system-config-printer and make sure the HP was gone and remove the second ML-2160W that was showing.

When he prints a file, the yellow printer light flashes for a few moments and then, nothing...

Unfortunately for this problem, I was a Solaris admin. I find the mix of Linux package managers baroque and inconsistent (Solaris' wasn't great, but there was one, and it was consistent). According to Synaptic, there are several packages available (and several versions), but none are installed. According to dpkg –get-selections | grep samsung ,  no samsung packages are there.

Yet, the apt-get install seemed to work, and the printer seems to have appeared correctly. I tried to remove all samsung packages, but apt-get purge|remove doesn't accept wildcards. I would have to pipe all errors to a file, edit the file to only include the 20+ package names, and script the removal (probably scp'ing the file to my system to edit it—did I mention the connection is sllooooww?!?) and redo the install. But I don't know if this would fix anything. The Samsung-ML-2160-Series.ppd is the only one listed in /etc/cups/ppd/:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13790 2012-10-24 14:37 Samsung-ML-2160-Series.ppd

Any ideas?

bchemnet

I've never encounted anything quite like what you are describing.  I agree that the presence of the ppd in /etc/cups/ppd implies the drivers installed, but I have no idea why you are having inconsistent reports from the package managers.  As far the print failure, perhaps the 4.00.35 driver package would work better?  (apt-get samsungmfp-driver-4.00-35 should work, regardless of what else is going on.)  Older ones than that probably won't help, because the ML-2160 is relatively new.

rheilke

Thanks for the response, and sorry mine took a while.

I keep getting:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package samsungmfp-driver-4.0-35

Yet, I have:
deb http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/ debian extra
in my /etc/apt/sources.list
?? I'm getting more confused by this "yes I do|no I don't" behaviour of the package managers. :-(

bchemnet

Sorry, typo on my part.  Package name is samsungmfp-driver-4.00.35, no dash in the numerical portion.

rheilke

Hang on... It seems it should be "4.00.35", not "4.00-35". Something seems to have installed and CUPS restarted.

rheilke

No probs. :-) Thanks. Going to try to print.

rheilke

Nope, nada. Even removed the printer and re-added it.

At this point, I'm wondering if it's the printer itself. _Everything_ suggests that the computer-printer communications are solid and that the driver is happy. But, just the blinkenlights then...nothing. We even tried the "Printer Self-Test" from the driver with the same result.

Any other ideas before he takes it back for another unit?

bchemnet

Have you tried printing a very simple (text) file using lp to bypass the Samung driver?  That would at least verify if it really is a hardware issue.  This thread here with the CLP-365 seems to be a similar problem: http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/forum/index.php?topic=59.0

Also as suggested in that thread, you could uninstall all the repository packages and try the Samsung installer using their download package.

Otherwise I can't think of anything you could do remotely; trying it with a Windows/Mac machine or a different distribution (just in case it is an issue with the version of CUPS he has) probably isn't an easy option.  And realistically if it works with lp but not with any straightforward mechanism of installing the driver, it probably isn't going to make for a long-lasting printer relationship even if it can be forced to work.

rheilke

Sigh... I must be getting old. lp should have been Testing 101.

lp worked. AND all of the other print jobs came out right after. ???  My father has shut everything off over night, powered up in the morning, and is still able to print. Seems the printer just needed an lp smack up-side the head. <shrug>

Thank you very much for the help.

bchemnet

Odd.  I'll add trying a manual lp run to the troubleshooting tips.  I'm glad it is now working.

omerbc

Hi,

I bought myself a Samsung ML-2165W Printer, installed Samsung Unified Printer Driver (followed instructions on http://www.samsungdrivers.net/samsung-ml-2165w-driver/). Now my computer seems to recognize the printer, but happily just says 'Document is Printing on ML-2160-Series' and a bit later 'Printing Completed'. In reality however, apart from starting to blink the green light a bit, my printer doesn't do a thing aaargh!

On weird thing maybe is that in my system settings / printers I have a printer called ML-2160-Series, but it mentions Samsung ML-2152WPS as the model...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

bchemnet

You can try removing that printer and configuring a new one to get an appropriate driver match.

Failing that, uninstall the driver you downloaded and try again using the repository packages provided through this site; many people who have trouble with the "official" drivers find they work fine via a package setup (even though the binary files are identical).

nikolay12

Quote from: bchemnet on November 01, 2012, 20:23:23
Odd.  I'll add trying a manual lp run to the troubleshooting tips.  I'm glad it is now working.
This worked for me for Samsung ML-2165 connected via USB to Ubuntu 12.04. I know it does not make much sense but it did work.

EddieWilkins

Quote from: rheilke on October 25, 2012, 13:51:59
Samsung ML-2165W
USB Connection
Driver shows as ML-2160W
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

This is my father's system; I am supporting it remotely. He had an HP 1200 connected to the lpt: port, but it finally died. He doesn't need anything fancy or high-volume, so I suggested the Samsung. I followed the directions here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=341621
When he connected the printer and turned it on, it seems to have been added OK. I did have to run system-config-printer and make sure the HP was gone and remove the second ML-2160W that was showing.

When he prints a file, the yellow printer led light flashes for a few moments and then, nothing...

Unfortunately for this problem, I was a Solaris admin. I find the mix of Linux package managers baroque and inconsistent (Solaris' wasn't great, but there was one, and it was consistent). According to Synaptic, there are several packages available (and several versions), but none are installed. According to dpkg –get-selections | grep samsung ,  no samsung packages are there.

Yet, the apt-get install seemed to work, and the printer seems to have appeared correctly. I tried to remove all samsung packages, but apt-get purge|remove doesn't accept wildcards. I would have to pipe all errors to a file, edit the file to only include the 20+ package names, and script the removal (probably scp'ing the file to my system to edit it—did I mention the connection is sllooooww?!?) and redo the install. But I don't know if this would fix anything. The Samsung-ML-2160-Series.ppd is the only one listed in /etc/cups/ppd/:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13790 2012-10-24 14:37 Samsung-ML-2160-Series.ppd

Any ideas?
hello were you able to sort out the problem? I am facing similar issue with my Hp printer..Can you please tell me the way to sort it out?Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)

lennien

Same problem on Debian 7.3, Printer blinks, reports back printing was succesfull while does not print anything.

After the usual driver installation steps I had to:

sudo apt-get install system-config-printer
system-config-printer

Then print a testpage from the GUI of system-config-printer.
After that printing works.

Update:
Found a solution, this works every time from start to finnish, even on a live system:

Printer power on, USB connected.

$sudo -i,

or

$sudo passwd root
$su

$wget http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/DR/201308/20130802103303914/ULD_Linux_V1.00.06.tar.gz
$tar xzf ULD_Linux_V1.00.06.tar.gz
$chmod +x uld/install.sh
$chmod +x uld/noarch/worker.sh
$uld/install.sh

System settings->Printer->Add

bchemnet

Thanks for sharing.  I added this as a possible solution.

sbobet-thb

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers