SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

Author Topic: ML-2955DW printing garbage  (Read 3917 times)

reetp

• Testing the water
    • View Profile
  • Linux Distribution: Xubuntu Precise
  • Printer: Samsung ML-2955DW
ML-2955DW printing garbage
« on: November 22, 2012, 10:50:38 »
Hi,

we have a Samsung ML-2955DW on our network and a couple of Xubuntu Precise 12.04 boxes.

I installed the debs via your repository.

I set one machine up using the Samsung Configurator and that seemed to be OK apart from a cups-ipp-missing-job-history error. Didn't think much about it and got on with the second machine

On the second machine I wondered if I could install it via the Xubuntu Print manager which I duly did. This one threw no errors so I had a look and realised the first must be printing via IPP and the second one via 'AppSocket/JetDirect'

So I decided to dump the printer and reinstall it. And since then it prints nothing but garbage.

I have reinstalled the Samsung drivers, reinstalled Cups, and anything else I could find. But somewhere there must be a corrupt file or setting that I cannot clear.

Any help in sorting this out would be gratefully received. Very frustrating having two virtually identical setups with one printing and one not !

B. Rgds
John

bchemnet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Linux Distribution: Debian Testing
  • Printer: none
Re: ML-2955DW printing garbage
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 21:55:20 »
A few people have had luck sorting out random issues by issuing a print command using "lp" from a terminal (for example, see the first post of this thread: http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/forum/index.php?topic=59.0).  A test page print may sometimes have a similar effect.

When you reinstalled the drivers, did you first delete the printer and then re-add it (via either interface) after re-installing?  If not, some settings will persist.

reetp

• Testing the water
    • View Profile
  • Linux Distribution: Xubuntu Precise
  • Printer: Samsung ML-2955DW
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 13:18:11 »
Thanks for the reply.

In the first instance I have to say that I think there is a flaw somewhere.

I seem to have it working now via LPD

I use the standard Xfce print manager (though I have the Samsung version installed)

I do New Printer, Network Printer, wait for it to appear and select it, and then pick LPD network printer via DNS-SD

I did originally pick the standard LPD/LPR Host or Printer option which worked so I tried the Samsung version which seemed happy.

However, I only seem to be able to reliably run LPD

If you add it with the Xfce print manager and go to properties and then try to change the port, it will let you choose a new port but the setting does not stay but I guess that is a bug in the Xfce print manager.

Test Page works but status page does not.

Anyway, at least we can work.

We have got errors in the cups log as follows :

[cups-driverd] Bad driver information file "/usr/share/cups/model/samsung/cms/CLP-300cms2"!

I have seen a few posts about this but not sure of the answer and don't have time to do more on it right now.

B. Rgds
John

alexacarlton

• Testing the water
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digitekprinting.com/letterhead
  • Linux Distribution: Android
  • Printer: M2875DW
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 22:51:17 »
So far not experiencing the same issue with my current printer version.. Just did several letterhead printing, this is our sample work http://www.digitekprinting.com/letterhead where we do printing using M2875DW also capable with airprint.

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers