SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

cmd line printing on SCX3405 running Ubuntu 8.04

Started by dxstone, December 31, 2012, 13:10:58

Previous topic - Next topic

dxstone

Hi, 
I have been given the task of getting command line printing and scanning working on a USB connected multifunction SCX-3405 Samsung printer connected to a Unbuntu 8.04 like embedded system (PC like, i386).

I have had many possibly false starts with CUPS, LPRng and foomatic.  I have configured and compiled ghostscript 8.70, splix 1.0.1-1, LPRng 3.8.28 and foomatic 4.0.12 for the embedded system.  I figure some combination of the above plus a binary or 2 from a here and I should be able to make this all work.

I have also tried installing Unified Linux Driver 4.00.39 but there is no QT package nor X server running.

Thanks in advance,

D Stone

bchemnet

For Ubuntu 8.04, you may need to use the samsungmfp-driver-legacy package; I don't know if the libc6 with that release is current enough to work with the later driver versions.  As long as you don't try to install the configurator packages, there should be no need for X or QT packages.

dxstone

Thank you for your reply.   I have grabbed the UnifiedLinuxDriver-3.00.37 and am working with that but my embedded Linux 2.6.20 is having installation issues.  Here's a cut and paste from the window,  Note, there is no "group" on this system and when the install finishes, smfpd is running as seen in the ps ax.

Thanks!

****  Please enter model to install and press Enter: scx3405
INFO: Installing MFP port and SANE backend libraries ...
ERROR: rc0.d directory not found
cat: can't open '/etc/modprobe.conf': No such file or directory
INFO: Installing GUI lpr ...
INFO: Fixing file ownership and permissions ...
INFO: Registering SANE backend ...
INFO: Registering CUPS printer ...
INFO: can't restart CUPS - script not found
lpadmin: Unable to connect to server: Connection refused
INFO: Creating menu entries ...
INFO: Finishing installation ...
****  Text mode install finished

bchemnet

None of the errors seem to be critical.  Have you tried to actually configure the printer with CUPS at this point?

dxstone

Thanks for the reply.  I have actually fixed all the install errors (except for something about "echo_successful") and seem to be at a point where authentication is my problem on a system that is a single user system.  The problems I fixed where all cross compiler problems in the CUPS package.

So what I got is this,

lp -d scx3405 some.pdf  -  Does something but nothing prints, i.e. lpq works and shows my print job, lprm removes it, but as I said, nothing prints.

My guess is "cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data provided" may be part of the problem.  That is the output I get along with a bunch more, from the error_log.

Any help appreciated!

bchemnet

If it is an authorization problem, perhaps printing as root would work, or making sure your user is added to the appropriate group?

dxstone

Thanks for the reply, I tried a few things and now do things as root but still no printing.  The CUPS error_log shows an MFP executable problem. 

I am using Unified Linux Driver 3.00.90, (3.00.37 did not work either) on an embedded system running Linux 2.6.20 (Ubuntu 8.04 is 2.6.24 so it's close) A quick synopsis of the CUPS error log is when printing a .pdf file, filter/pdftops starts, filter/rastertosamsungspl starts and then backend/mfp starts.  Then gs and pstops start, then the error log shows,

D [16/Jan/2013:11:11:25 +0000] [Job 3] Unable to create temp file!: Operation not permitted
D [16/Jan/2013:11:11:25 +0000] PID 1349 (/usr/lib/cups/backend/mfp) stopped with status 4.

What does mfp do?  It looks like it talks directly to the device, taking standard input.  Anybody know more?

Thanks,  Dan Stone

dxstone

I would love to hear from somebody at Samsung about what this program, mfp does.  I replaced it with a small program I wrote that opens the device (after searching through /dev/usblp[0-7] and /dev/usb/lp[0-7]) reading stdin and writing it to the opened device.  (Well, there is a select and a big long timeout just in case too) and it works but my system does everything as root.

So I now have printed something.  Next up is seeing how the scanner works.

bchemnet

I suspect mfp just searches through the devices, open it for writing, and then writes.  The difference is that it knows what the timeouts should be, and if the printer prefers any additional information, etc.

I'd like to hear from Samsung about what ALL the driver pieces do, or just have them open up the source.

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers