SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

Author Topic: SAMSUNG SCX 4521 F  (Read 4258 times)

nickaidin

• Testing the water
    • View Profile
  • Linux Distribution: ubuntu 12.10
  • Printer: samsung scx4521f
SAMSUNG SCX 4521 F
« on: February 14, 2013, 09:26:59 »
It does print the test page... but when i try to print a document from libre office it cuts the half text off  as if it has been cutted to stripes. I use ubuntu 12.10 and the drivers from your repository.
I cannot understand why it prints the test page fine but not the other documents.
I tried to use the cups administration tool via my browser (localhost:631) without success
thank you for your help in advance
Nikolaos

Ι noticed that if i print same file as pdf the printer prints it without problem but if i try to print text is printed corrupted.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 12:47:39 by nickaidin »

bchemnet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Linux Distribution: Debian Testing
  • Printer: none
Re: SAMSUNG SCX 4521 F
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 09:14:03 »
Have you tried toggling the "PDF as standard print job format" option under Options -> Libreoffice -> Print?  It might help.

Recent changes to CUPS and the Libreoffice print system seem to be somewhat responsible for this sort of problem; I occasionally encounter a document that won't print correctly (or at all) from Libreoffice, but if I generate a PDF and print that it works just fine.  (It is also related to the Samsung driver, because I don't have the problem with an HP printer, but for me the issue developed following updates to components other than the driver.)  It has not occurred frequently enough that I have spent much time investigating.

Please share if you have continued problems, with whatever trends you notice.  When I have a chance, I'll try to look into this some more.  I'm hoping for a new Samsung driver update sometime soon, as they launch their new printers in April, which potentially could also solve the problem.

nickaidin

• Testing the water
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 10:40:17 »
unfortunately this didnt solve the problem. I m new to linux sorry if i cant help a lot.    But i did with libre office what you proposed but it didnt solve the problem. Do you think i should try another printer ?

nickaidin

• Testing the water
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 14:01:21 »
Accidentally i think i made it work.
I went to localhost:631 and deleted the printer.
Then i plugged out and then in the usb cable of printer ...
and it worked.
I cant tell what changed, althought in cups administration all preferences seem the same.

bchemnet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 11:58:39 »
It is likely that it is not using the Samsung driver, but instead now one of the standard CUPS drivers that support the printer.  I'm glad it works.

nickaidin

• Testing the water
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 07:14:19 »
i think i know what happened . I installed printer driver from your repository and then made the printer to use your driver. Then it printed gibberish. So i went to cups administration local page, "localhost:631" and deleted the printer from printer administration menu. Finally i did plug in the printer usb cable to pc, so the system recognised the printer automatically. I print nicely now.
I wanted to ask furthermore if there is a way for me to have the scanning source of this maschine autoselected in libreoffice writer. Since everytime i log in to my ubuntu (64bit 12.10) i have to select source of importing scanning software.
Thank you again in advance.

bchemnet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 20:13:48 »
I wanted to ask furthermore if there is a way for me to have the scanning source of this maschine autoselected in libreoffice writer. Since everytime i log in to my ubuntu (64bit 12.10) i have to select source of importing scanning software.

I'm not aware of any way to do so and can see no indication that there is a setting to store that information in.  I don't generally use that interface, but a quick test on my system (Libreoffice 4.0.0 on this particular machine) indicates that the insert -> picture -> scan -> request only works after I have first selected the source.  Which is slightly odd, because "select source" works with the scanner regardless of the source actually selected.  (In my case, the interference is a USB camera and the scanner is a Canon flatbed, so this is an issue that has nothing to do with the multifunction aspect of a printer.)

Filing a wish request in their bug tracker might be the way to go.

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers