SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

SAMSUNG SCX 4521 F

Started by nickaidin, February 14, 2013, 09:26:59

Previous topic - Next topic

nickaidin

It does print the test page... but when i try to print a document from libre office it cuts the half text off  as if it has been cutted to stripes. I use ubuntu 12.10 and the drivers from your repository.
I cannot understand why it prints the test page fine but not the other documents.
I tried to use the cups administration tool via my browser (localhost:631) without success
thank you for your help in advance
Nikolaos

Ι noticed that if i print same file as pdf the printer prints it without problem but if i try to print text is printed corrupted.

bchemnet

Have you tried toggling the "PDF as standard print job format" option under Options -> Libreoffice -> Print?  It might help.

Recent changes to CUPS and the Libreoffice print system seem to be somewhat responsible for this sort of problem; I occasionally encounter a document that won't print correctly (or at all) from Libreoffice, but if I generate a PDF and print that it works just fine.  (It is also related to the Samsung driver, because I don't have the problem with an HP printer, but for me the issue developed following updates to components other than the driver.)  It has not occurred frequently enough that I have spent much time investigating.

Please share if you have continued problems, with whatever trends you notice.  When I have a chance, I'll try to look into this some more.  I'm hoping for a new Samsung driver update sometime soon, as they launch their new printers in April, which potentially could also solve the problem.

nickaidin

unfortunately this didnt solve the problem. I m new to linux sorry if i cant help a lot.    But i did with libre office what you proposed but it didnt solve the problem. Do you think i should try another printer ?

nickaidin

Accidentally i think i made it work.
I went to localhost:631 and deleted the printer.
Then i plugged out and then in the usb cable of printer ...
and it worked.
I cant tell what changed, althought in cups administration all preferences seem the same.

bchemnet

It is likely that it is not using the Samsung driver, but instead now one of the standard CUPS drivers that support the printer.  I'm glad it works.

nickaidin

i think i know what happened . I installed printer driver from your repository and then made the printer to use your driver. Then it printed gibberish. So i went to cups administration local page, "localhost:631" and deleted the printer from printer administration menu. Finally i did plug in the printer usb cable to pc, so the system recognised the printer automatically. I print nicely now.
I wanted to ask furthermore if there is a way for me to have the scanning source of this maschine autoselected in libreoffice writer. Since everytime i log in to my ubuntu (64bit 12.10) i have to select source of importing scanning software.
Thank you again in advance.

bchemnet

Quote from: nickaidin on March 18, 2013, 07:14:19
I wanted to ask furthermore if there is a way for me to have the scanning source of this maschine autoselected in libreoffice writer. Since everytime i log in to my ubuntu (64bit 12.10) i have to select source of importing scanning software.

I'm not aware of any way to do so and can see no indication that there is a setting to store that information in.  I don't generally use that interface, but a quick test on my system (Libreoffice 4.0.0 on this particular machine) indicates that the insert -> picture -> scan -> request only works after I have first selected the source.  Which is slightly odd, because "select source" works with the scanner regardless of the source actually selected.  (In my case, the interference is a USB camera and the scanner is a Canon flatbed, so this is an issue that has nothing to do with the multifunction aspect of a printer.)

Filing a wish request in their bug tracker might be the way to go.

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers