SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

Author Topic: [SOLVED] CLX-3305fn not detected  (Read 3201 times)

marek

• Soaking wet
    • View Profile
  • Linux Distribution: Ubuntu 12.10
  • Printer: Samsung CLX 3305fn
[SOLVED] CLX-3305fn not detected
« on: February 21, 2013, 08:47:53 »
Hi,

I've installed the up-to-date drivers from the repository and have a CLX-3305fn connected by USB to a box running Ubuntu 12.10.

Trying to add a printer either through the Configurator or through CUPS gives no detected local printers. If I try configuring manually it accepts the settings, and printing produces no errors, but CUPS sees the printer as constantly "paused" and no printing actually happens.

Testing the configuration from within the Configurator produces the error:
Can't find any devices on /dev/mfp4

This isn't surprising as /dev/mfp4 (or any /dev/mfp) doesn't exist.

I fear this is a kernel issue because I was able to print (and even scan, if inconsistently) yesterday before a software update. I was running the official drivers yesterday but removed them when trying to fix the problem today after I came across this repo, before installing the repository drivers.

Any help greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 03:51:42 by marek »

marek

• Soaking wet
    • View Profile
Re: CLX-3305fn not detected
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 03:51:21 »
And it looks like it was a kernel issue. Another update this morning fixed things perfectly.

bchemnet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Linux Distribution: Debian Testing
  • Printer: none
Re: [SOLVED] CLX-3305fn not detected
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 11:59:36 »
Do you happen to know what the before/after the latest update kernel versions are, in case someone else has similar issues?

marek

• Soaking wet
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] CLX-3305fn not detected
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 04:54:49 »
Current (working) kernel version on Ubuntu 12.10 is .3.5.0-25.31 (64-bit)

I'm not absolutely certain on the previous, non-working, version, but it seems likely it was 3.5.0-25.30 (64-bit).

I know very little about these updates, so I can't be sure. The updates were released within just a couple of days of each other in the past week - I can't seem to find a simple record of what was released when easily though. These would have been from official Ubuntu update repos.

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers