SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

Author Topic: Can't print pdfs from CLX-3305fn  (Read 3202 times)

marek

• Soaking wet
    • View Profile
  • Linux Distribution: Ubuntu 12.10
  • Printer: Samsung CLX 3305fn
Can't print pdfs from CLX-3305fn
« on: February 26, 2013, 07:21:55 »
I posted a previous thread where I noted that after a kernel update things seemed to be working perfectly.

Spoke too soon.

On Ubuntu 12.10 running the latest drivers from the repos here. The test page and documents from LibreOffice and other prorgams print fine. However, pdfs and ps files won't print at all. They don't seem to enter the queue and CUPS doesn't list them as jobs at all (completed or otherwise).

I've tried printing from a few different programs (Okular, eVince, xpdf) to no avail. I've also tried converting pdf to ps (via print-to-file), but the ps files won't print either.

What little I've got from Google on people with similar issues in the past seems to be along the lines of "hard luck", but if there are any settings or adjustments I might make to get this working I'd be very grateful for suggestions.

bchemnet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Linux Distribution: Debian Testing
  • Printer: none
Re: Can't print pdfs from CLX-3305fn
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 10:18:13 »
Sounds like a CUPS bug, if some printing methods work and others don't.  Not that I'm a fan of it, but Adobe Reader may help here for the same reason you can print via LibreOffice.

I don't know that it will help, but have you tried the pdf-fix package?

marek

• Soaking wet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 05:09:59 »
Thanks very much for the reply. Yeah - from reading a few things around it does sound like it might be a CUPS bug (I'm running 1.6.1).

Adobe reader can't print either, but at least this time I have an error to work with:

/usr/local/bin/lpr.app not found

I tried installing the pdf-fix package, as well as anything not "legacy" that mentioned lpr (in some desperation).

No joy though.

bchemnet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Linux Distribution: Debian Testing
  • Printer: none
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 06:42:52 »
There are quite a few Launchpad bug reports for 1.6.1 that have something in common with what you describe, which suggests that something broke in CUPS.  The only possibly relevant information I can see is this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups-filters/+bug/1053443/comments/35

If that does not help, I suggest opening a bug report on Launchpad; nothing about the Samsung driver should be causing the behavior you describe, and CUPS has recently updated whereas the driver has not.  I'm still running 1.5.3, so I don't know if the issue affects many Samsung printers or not.

marek

• Soaking wet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 06:56:02 »
Thanks very much for this.

Pinning the older version of cups-filters hasn't worked, unfortunately. Will look at reporting a bug on LaunchPad. When I get a chance I'll try rolling back to an earlier version of cups completely (and 13.04 is on the horizon of course).

Thanks again.

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers