SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

slpr not working (broken link?)

Started by totally-king, March 09, 2013, 20:31:58

Previous topic - Next topic

totally-king

I use CLX-3305W over WiFi with ubuntu 12.10 (quantal). I have installed the driver over the repository including the samsungmfp-lpr package and everything seems to work fine (with qt3 only, qt4 had known (?) problems). However I wondered, if this slpr is working at all, because I do not get any extra printer options like 'multiple pages per sheet'. When I now run lpr directly (in my PATH /usr/local/bin takes precedence over /usr/bin, so /usr/local/bin/lpr -> ../../../opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/slpr) I get this:
$ lpr
/usr/local/bin/lpr: 15: /usr/local/bin/lpr: /usr/local/bin/lpr.app: not found

So maybe a symbolic link like

cd /usr/local/bin
sudo ln -s ../../../opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/slpr.app lpr.app
is needed in addition in the samsungmfp-lpr package? (edit: corrected code error, ln finally working)

After I add it (s)lpr starts without problems.

Please correct me if any of my above speculative statements is wrong. Thx!

totally-king

So what I meant is slpr GUI basically works: I can see the GUI and tweak all I want. But then when it comes to printing (pressing 'OK' in the main window) nothing happens.

After running even this simple text file test print command

lpr <(echo 'Hello, World!')

the log file in /tmp/ has only one line content:

ProcessEx::execute: failed to launch

So what might be the problem or what am I doing wrong?

bchemnet

Interesting.  15-20% of users of these packages install the -lpr one, but you are the first to point out a bug that must have existed since I packaged 4.00.39 a few months ago.

Anyway, I think the problem has to do with the recent bizarre renaming Samsung did to add the ".app" to everything, and the link in /usr/local/bin should point to /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/slpr.app instead of without the ".app" (not in addition).  I've never really used this utility, so didn't catch this when packaging the new versions.

I believe that the link replacement will also address the lack of output you observed, because "lpr.app" is not something that would normally be invoked during a print cycle.

totally-king

The link replacement as suggested by you, @bchemnet, didn't work out, the exact same error message was printed to stderr rather than recorded in the /tmp/ log file. So IMHO the double link solution works better or more like the Samsung developer(s) probably wanted it to work ...

Either way, the problem persists: I can't print with slpr.

bchemnet

I'll look into this when I have some time.

bchemnet

The new packages in the repository address this issue.  Please let me know if you update and it persists.

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers