SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

Samsung SCX-4100 Laser Multifunction - The scanner doesn't work

Started by RomeoAva, June 30, 2012, 09:32:35

Previous topic - Next topic

RomeoAva

Samsung SCX-4100 Laser Multifunction - The scanner doesn't work in Ubuntu 11.10
I read and done all from your site. The drivers are installed and configured and they do not appear with sane-find-scanner.
The scanner worked a few mounts ago after a few days of working to install it.

But for a wile the Update Manager can't succeed with http://www.bchemnet.com/
It sad that is not recognized, trusted source or something like that.
For the moment seems to work, after a day of installing all kind of pockets in Terminal.

Thank you!

RomeoAva

And now the printer is not working to. Yesterday was OK. Today after so many updates something happened.
That is why I uninstall all the samsungmfp-driver installed today, after a few hours of work.
Now is working, but what about the scanner. I have to send some documents by Internet.

bchemnet

Quote from: RomeoAva on June 30, 2012, 12:09:21
And now the printer is not working to. Yesterday was OK. Today after so many updates something happened.
That is why I uninstall all the samsungmfp-driver installed today, after a few hours of work.
Now is working, but what about the scanner. I have to send some documents by Internet.

You can try the same method used by the samsungmfp-scanner-sane-fix package, which attempts to force your printer as a scanner (among other models).  Download that package directly (http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/pool/debian/extra/s/samsungmfp-scanner-sane-fix_4.00.35-2_all.deb), and then extract it as an archive (do not try to install it).  In a terminal, navigate to the folder you extracted into, and then
cd etc
sudo cp -r * /etc/
sudo service udev restart

If that does not work, you can manually remove the 3 files copied into /etc, or leave them without any harm to your system.

RomeoAva

I have done what you sad and doesn't work.
The Simple scanner sad there is no scanner.
The Samsung Unified is not at place. I cant find it in the program list at all. But in Ubuntu Software Center I can see there are some Samsung Unified drivers installed.

For the moment I didn't know what I have and what not in my computer. I install and uninstall many packages from so many guys on the internet, including you, in last days.

Today I installed again the Drivers alone following some forum advice. The Samsung Unified Configurator appears, but it doesn't find my scanner. The Simple Scan can't see it to.

I can tray from the beginning, please. Can we go to IRC Chat in #ubuntu to talk?
Thank you very much!

bchemnet

I have very little time today, but here's what I can offer:
1. Uninstal all packages that begin with samsungmfp in the Software Center.  Then install samsungmfp-configurator-qt4 and samsungmfp-scanner-sane-fix.  Try again with any scanning program or the Configurator, which should appear in your menu.

2. If that doesn't help, ununinstall those packages and try updating your system to Ubuntu 12.04.  Also update to 12.04 if you have difficulty installing the packages (I'm not sure what's causing your difficulties with that).

3. After updating, try to scan without installing anything from my repository; if it doesn't work, repeat the first step above.

If it's still not working, you will need to find another scanner for today; I can probably help you troubleshoot further later this week, but not today.

RomeoAva

I have done point number 1. "Uninstal all packages that begin with samsungmfp in the Software Center. Then install samsungmfp-configurator-qt4 and samsungmfp-scanner-sane-fix."

Doesn't work.

I will wait with number 2. "updating your system to Ubuntu 12.04" because my Ubuntu 11.10 is working well and I have some history in chromium browser bookmark for my job. Contacts, prospects and so on. I don't want to loose the bookmark.

bchemnet

If you want to experiment and have the time, you can install Virtualbox and then install the updated Ubuntu as a virtual machine and see if it works that way.  That's sort of a long afternoon project if you are doing it for the first time.

RomeoAva

Thank you for advice. I was thinking to go all the way in new Ubuntu. All the time is good to have the last update system. But for the moment I have many Bookmarks in Chromium browser because I work at a project. Do you know how I can save it and use it again after a new Ubuntu installation?
Have a nice day!

bchemnet

I don't use chromium, but I would guess that there is a .chromium or .config/chromium folder in your home folder that probably stores that information and could be copied.

RomeoAva

Yes, you right. You can Sync everything.

Why sign in to Chrome
With Chrome's sign-in feature, you no longer need to fret about your bookmarks or apps being "stuck" on one computer. When you sign in to the Chrome browser or a Chrome device, your bookmarks, extensions, apps, theme, and other browser preferences are saved and synced to your Google Account. You can then load these settings anytime you use Chrome on other computers and devices.

http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=165139
Thank you!

yahs

I used to have a SCX-4100 for about 6 years, which I used with all the versions of Ubuntu since 2007.

I now have a SCX-4500w.

Regarding the suggestion to use Virtualbox, I just use a live session , download and install the unified driver and test that everything works.

I am using Ubuntu 12.04 and Samsung Unified Driver version 3.00.65 and I have printing and scanning using my wireless network. I did try version 4.00.35 but I couldn't get the scanner to work.

Regarding bookmarks – if you don't have a google account, go to tools, bookmark manager, organize, you can export your bookmarks as a html file to a usb stick and then import when you have upgraded.

RomeoAva

I'm back. I installed the Ubuntu 12:04 64 bit. everything is fine.
Please give me some advises because I don't wan to be wrong. There are to many packages. I don't know also how to do that: "Download that package directly (http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/pool/debian/extra/s/samsungmfp-scanner-sane-fix_4.00.35-2_all.deb), and then extract it as an archive (do not try to install it).  In a terminal, navigate to the folder you extracted into, and then" from your previous post.
Can you give me step by step please.
Thank you very much!

bchemnet

Hm - the response I thought I posted while traveling seems to have not actually been posted.  Stupid coffee shop wireless.

To start, you don't need the "download that package..." bit now that you have updated your Ubuntu system.

For package selection, the two packages you probably need are samsungmfp-scanner and samsungmfp-scanner-sane-fix-multiarch.  That should get scanning operational.

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers