SULDR Forums Supported Printers Printing Questions Scanning Questions General Questions Samsung Installer

Scan to PC is dead

Started by bchemnet, August 31, 2019, 17:29:23

Previous topic - Next topic

bchemnet

For all practical purposes, the Scan to PC utility is dead and will rarely work.  Nobody is actively maintaining it.  You are free to try it, but if it does not work then you are on your own.  For the reasons outlined in the link below, there is no real motiviation to address the issues.

See this announcement: https://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/forum/index.php?topic=366.0

Additionally (as of June 2020), some of the necessary python2 libraries have been removed from Debian as part of the planned elimination of all python2 code.  Therefore, anyone interested in utilizing this tool would first need to update it to all python3 libraries.  Unfortunately, not all the libraries utilized by scantopc have 1:1 replacements in python3, so it is not just a matter of substituting all libraries directly.

lucky62

Where are the sources and how can I access it?

bchemnet

mak2109

Sorry to revive this old post.
Maybe there is someone that reads it and hopefully gives an answer.

I have a M2070W and whished to use the "Scan_to_PC" function with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.
After analyzing the tcpdump I could ask better questions and found this forum.
I downloaded the kit, noticed the python problems and can confirm the death of the python approach.

Therefore I wrote a bash script using wget, snmpget and scanimage and it works nearly as expected.
The only thing is that the M_PDF function is not yet implemented (only S_PDF).
I did not find the tcp packets, that handles the dialog about scanning the following pages.
So only one page can be scanned at a time. Multi pdf pages have to be made in an additional manual step.

Has this feature (M_PDF) been implemented in your distributed package?
How is that dialog implemented?
Any hint is appreciated.

If somebody is intrested in my sh solution, I could upload my script.

bchemnet

I cannot your answer you question about M_PDF, but perhaps someone else will respond.

That said, even a limited function script may be of interest, so I encourage you to share what you have.  You might want to do so in a new thread, though.

mak2109

Dear bchemnet,

I can partly answer my questions after having a slightly deeper look into the py sources.

- The M_PDF functionality is implemented in the samsungScannerServer.py

As I could see, the relevant action handling regarding the dialog with multi page is taking place in class "TCPproxy" and class "_ModSaneIterator".

I fiddled a bit with the "1b a8" requests and the "a8" answers but could not bring the scanner to react in a usable manner. Therefore I added a little bit efford to complete the bash script implementation.

As you asked me to enter the script in a new tread, I opened the thread "scan2pc.sh bash script".

Repository Information Legal Contact Alternative Drivers